• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA smog test revised for 1995 and older vehicles starting Dec 2007

CaliGold

NAXJA Forum User
I was getting a smog test for my pop's truck, and starting from Dec 2007, it seems our state has added another requirement to pass the smog check for 95 and older vehicles. They will now pressure check the gas tank to charcoal canister evap system.

The smog tech will pinch off the vent hose from the gas tank to the evap canister, and pressuize the gas tank through a gas cap adapter to see if it's sealed. When the evap system holds a predetermined psi, it will pass the test.

Make sure your tank is in good shape as well as the vent hoses since they will pinch it off hard with these large forcept looking devices.

It was unexpected for me, but luckily passed. Be aware.

Anyone know what the maximum time period is between getting a smog check and getting you car registard is? Asking because I am getting deployed in may and my reg is up in aug. Would like to get it smogged before I leave cause the wife doesnt know how to drive stick and also if something is wrong and needs to be fixed dont want her to get dicked around with BS repairs.

I think its 3 months.

There are dozens of us jeepers local (myself included) who would be more than happy to take your car to get smogged when the time comes, who can both drive stick and will not get dicked around on repairs.

I may throw out a request for some help, I plan on getting a pre test done before I leave so that I am able to fix anything that may be wrong in hopes that when it is due it will pass without probs

If you need help, just speak up. I'm far away but willing to make the drive - however there are a LOT of very decent people in the greater san diego area who would be willing to offer assistance at the drop of a hat, both because you are a fellow jeeper and doing service for your country.

homebrew said:
Anyone know what the maximum time period is between getting a smog check and getting you car registard is? Asking because I am getting deployed in may and my reg is up in aug. Would like to get it smogged before I leave cause the wife doesnt know how to drive stick and also if something is wrong and needs to be fixed dont want her to get dicked around with BS repairs.

I'm pretty sure it's 90 days, like Cal said.

Doesn't the DMV give leeway to service men & women who are on active duty or deployed?? I would check with the DMV. If not, I'm sure someone will help. I'm little far myself.

E

homebrew said:

Paul, you can pay your reg and not smog it, that is legal. You just cant drive it on the street because you will not get the tags until the DMV gets the cert. Once they get the smog cert they will send you the tags.

Leep

no leeway threw the dmv they basically told me that us sevice men are not special and that there are no programs to help deployed military.

Gonna try an teach the wife how to drive stick. Good thing I recently replaced the clutch. lol

homebrew said:
no leeway threw the dmv they basically told me that us sevice men are not special and that there are no programs to help deployed military.

Gonna try an teach the wife how to drive stick. Good thing I recently replaced the clutch. lol

Where are you stationed ? I am sure that there is someone that could get it to the smog place for you so your wife does not have to drive it. If you were still in MV I would do it for you.

Let us know

Dennis

I just had to have my '93 Motorhome smogged and they did the new test (it costs more) and it passed. The guy told me most of the vehicles he had done the new test on have passed. That sucks that a deployed service guy can't get some kind of break on smog. DMV is totally uncaring in every regard. I'd contact my congressman's office, this kind of thing is what they have staff to help with. If you're up here in the High Desert I know the guy who does this kind of thing for The Hon. Sharon Runner
Assemblywoman, 36th Dist.
c/o Victorville City Hall
14343 Civic Drive, First Floor
Victorville, CA 92392

Smog nazis, stupid gun laws. I grew up in Santa Monica but California can really suck sometimes. Gonna' move to Utah or Texas, somewhere that if I shoot a buglar for breaking into my house I won't have to worry about getting sued.

cal said:
If you need help, just speak up. I'm far away but willing to make the drive - however there are a LOT of very decent people in the greater san diego area who would be willing to offer assistance at the drop of a hat, both because you are a fellow jeeper and doing service for your country.

*Raises hand*

if you do it before you leave and pay for your tags early you shouldnt have an issue. I did mine like that for my yj so I didnt have to worry about forgetting to do it in the middle of winter when driving a topless wrangler sucks

What sucks is the price of the Evap tester. I just bought mine they are $3100.00 for the unit. Unfortunately this tool transmits the data separately to Sacramento. We are a Dealership that never smogs old vehicles and still were forced to buy the tool or loose are License.

LOL. I'm actually sitting at the test only station right now replying on my phone. I even knew about it acouple of months ago when someone else posted about it. Right about the time the notice came. What did I do? Totally forgot about it. The tech even said "should have brought this in last month, this is a new test"
"oh yeah crap!" wish me luck

Last edited:
Gerr said:
you know I think im gona skip getting my license now I could get a better wage from work with it but I have to buy all my own equipment so f-that

Ah - but your equipment would be deductible under your personal income taxes - under "unreimbursed employee expenses."

Anything you buy for work that your work doesn't pay you back for is deductible under that line. When I was working at a shooting range (a couple of years back - I need to be home rather more now...) I deducted something like $4000 in ammo a year - to stay in practise. I worked in rage safety and instruction, and the instructor needs to stay sharp. I also deducted gun parts (maintenance) and cleaning supplies, since the range didn't pay me back for them.

Anything you buy for work that you aren't paid back for is deductible - clothes, shoes, tools, equipment, whatever. The key elements are these: 1) It is required for the performance of your job. 2) Your job doesn't pay you back for it.

Granted, it requires that you fill out "the long form," but save your receipts and screw the IRS.

For the revised test proper, this is getting irritating. Hell, if they'd just get out of my way and do away with the visual test (which is worthless,) I could reduce my emissions even further - which should make them happy. The visual test is nonsense anyhow - who cares how I make the numbers, just so I make them? Do away with the visual, and give a sliding discount on registration for exceedingly low emissions (or HOV lane access, or something. I'm willing to bet I could pull emissions on my rig down to damn near zero if they'd just get out of my way and let me do it... And, I'm not the only one!)

you know that will never happen, John. they are only hiding behind trying to save the environment. they only environment they care about is keeping the one in thier wallets nice and green. dont expect any discounts from the govt. for being beyond compliance. hell they'll probably charge you more for not polluting enough. :patriot:

Back