• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How soft should my steering be?

smcdonaldaz

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '93 with a the standard 4.0. The steering seemed pretty soft when I bought it and I quickly replaced the steering stabilizer which helped. I'm pretty sure it need shocks but that shouldn't help soft steering.

I'll guess you mean play in the steering from side-to-side before any noticable change occurs in direction..

I believe OE recommendations are aound 1" to 1.5".

I'd bet if you're running an OE gear box normal wear over the years has increased this range to 2.5" to 3.0".

Well, I have a sporty little DD that has a "sport tuned suspension" and when I move the wheel the car moves. In my jeep I can rock the wheel back and forth and the jeep doesn't do much but rock.

If your steering wheel doesn't center like it used to, it may be a worn trac bar.
Most times it's a collection of little things that adds up. Worn steering box, various joints in the steering rods and even control arm bushings.

8Mud said:
If your steering wheel doesn't center like it used to, it may be a worn trac bar.
Most times it's a collection of little things that adds up. Worn steering box, various joints in the steering rods and even control arm bushings.

mine doesnt center when i drive down the road. its turned to the left to keep it straight. i dont know what it is. its been like that the year and a half i have owned it. it still has stock trac bar in stock position. so that could be why mine is not centered? i need to get an adj. trac bar.

edit: i never really thought much of it. it is a 96 so parts are worn some i would say.

A worn trac bar will usually make it wander some when driving and the steering wheel doesn't want to center when driving straight ahead (in my experience the center of the steering wheel is often left of true center). Test is to have someone turn the wheel left and right a few inches and watch the top joint (at the frame mount) for movement (check the mount for movement while your down there). a loose trac bar will often make an audible click as the steering wheel is turned. Trac bar will also make a popping noise on occasion during turns, but other things can cause nearly the same noise, so that isn't definitive indicator.
I check all my steering joints twice a year and it's been a rare year I haven't needed some part.

tclapp_88 said:
mine doesnt center when i drive down the road. its turned to the left to keep it straight. i dont know what it is. its been like that the year and a half i have owned it. it still has stock trac bar in stock position. so that could be why mine is not centered? i need to get an adj. trac bar.

edit: i never really thought much of it. it is a 96 so parts are worn some i would say.

My 96 just started making that pop sound when I turn into a driveway, sounds like ball joints on the left front.

mine pulls right if i take my hand off the wheel hence why i have to drive with the steering wheel to left of center. and i had heard/read somewhere it might be because my trac bar is stock and i have a 3 inch lift.

uh, yeah, that will do it. your body isnt centered over the axle...thats gonna throw everything off....

smcdonaldaz said:
Well, I have a sporty little DD that has a "sport tuned suspension" and when I move the wheel the car moves. In my jeep I can rock the wheel back and forth and the jeep doesn't do much but rock.

I suspect I can relate to your concerns since I have a non-street legal sports car used strictly for racing with a fully adjustable suspension. To begin with, I suspect you are comparing apples to oranges.

I'm guessing (hoping) your 'sporty DD' has a version of rack-and-pinion steering :). Your jeep has a totally different design, probably with a power steering. If all of the above is correct, you jeep steering will never perform to level of your sporty DD :(. The vehicle was never designed for street 'performance'. However, it can be vastly improved from what you have now :D .

While there are numerous ways to improve your steering, I believe my initial statement is correct and would probably your greatest gains. Check your steering gear box for wear. It can be adjusted (I.E tighten) to some extent. However, if it's the OE box, I'd opt to replace it. I would also evaluate all your bushings, ball joints, etc as I suspect they are all worn and contributing to your problem. On a 15 year old truck virtually all of the steering components would be suspect for replacement.

I would recommend repairing this as excessive play in the steering can be dangerous for a number of reasons :repair:.

One question - When you say you replaced the steering stabilizer, did you mean the steering damper (I.E. shock)?

Hope this helps..

tclapp_88 said:
mine pulls right if i take my hand off the wheel hence why i have to drive with the steering wheel to left of center. and i had heard/read somewhere it might be because my trac bar is stock and i have a 3 inch lift.

I have a three inch life, AND a stock trac bar. Mine driives straight and true. My steering wheel is upside down, but I think thats just cause I haven't adjusted the "slip joint" i think its called (little threaded sleeve that makes the drag link longer when you unscrew it) since I did the lift.

I'd be tempted to replace the OEM trackbar, even with NO lift...i just hate that damn ball joint style, non-adjustable POS....

I'm in no way expecting the XJ to be like my DD, just used it as an example. 8Mud's comment about "Wandering" is the word that best fits what I feel. What is the best way to test that? I'm going to be adding 3" springs soon so I can get that resolved then if it's the problem.

xj4fun said:
One question - When you say you replaced the steering stabilizer, did you mean the steering damper (I.E. shock)?

Yeah, that's what I replaced. It helped quite a bit so you can imagine what it was like originally. I'll have to start working my way through the suspension replacing the worn bits.

85xj4dr said:
I have a three inch life, AND a stock trac bar. Mine driives straight and true. My steering wheel is upside down, but I think thats just cause I haven't adjusted the "slip joint" i think its called (little threaded sleeve that makes the drag link longer when you unscrew it) since I did the lift.

Wow, your clock spring must be toast if the wheel doesn't want to unwind after being turned 180 degrees.

Back