• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ not starting

XJbone

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the issue. I went out this morning to go to work and when I went to start 'er up, I got nothing...no clicking, no start, nothing. The "Check Engine" light does come on as it usually does when I turn the key. I hear the fuel pump kick in, and my lights (interior, headlights) are working strong. My vehicle is a 5-speed, so being in park/neutral is not an issue. What else, besides the starter, might be causing this? Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate my trusty repair manual at this time, so I'm not sure where else to look.
(Don't flame me for not searching... my ride will be here any minute to pick me up for work so I won't be able to poke around the forums until I get home tonight).
TIA!

Last edited:
take a rubber mallet and tap on your starter...GENTLY....then try it again...

could be starter, could be a sensor somewhere....but i'd try tapping on the starter first...cant remember why, but for some reason that helps some people...

You said..."My vehicle is a 5-speed, so being in park/neutral is not an issue.".....ever heard of a neutral safety switch? Just because it's a 5 speed doesn't mean it doesn't have to be in neutral, but it does have the clutch depressed.....unless you have the switch disabled like I do.

So, did you have the clutch depressed?

I would start with checking battery cables for corrosion/bad connections. This can sometimes cause it to not even click.

I have a '95 4.0L Automatic and just had to change the starter after experiencing the same problem. That would be my guess, but I am not a mechanic. Good luck!

I had the same problem with my '96. Over time I just replaced the starter, but for a while there, I just gently hit the starter with a hammer a couple times and she fired right up.

OK, battery terminals were clean.
Tapping the starter with a hammer did not work.

I see that there is a starter relay...Anyone ever have a one go bad?

I think my starter is bad right now...mine is a 93 and same symptoms as above. I'm going to check the relay and my wiring first then I'll probably just change it out.

Is the starter an easy change? I was thinking its probably like two bolts but I haven't changed it before.

The starter is easy enough to swap out, but the weird thing is that there are two diffferent bolt sizes holding it to the bellhousing. Make sure to clean all the connections too, as the starter sits beneath the oil filter.

XJbone - did you check the fuse box? I'd start simple... but sadly it does sound like it is your starter

Just an opinion, but most anybody with a Jeep is going to sooner or later end up in the mud and it's likely some mud is going to find it's way into the starter. Or the oil is going to drip off of the filter mount and find it's way in. It gets under the brushes and causes iffy contact. Worn brushes can also cause this, the wire from the brushes gets too short and keeps what ever is left of the brushes from making good contact.
Go Jeep has a good write up on starter R&R, something everybody with a Jeep should know how to do and/or carry a rebuilt starter with you most always.
I've never had a starter relay go bad in the post 90 models. But have had problems with the starter relay to starter solenoid wire, it is really an anemic wire for something that has to carry a fair amount of amperage.
I never return a starter core and most always replace the brushes and keep it for a spare.

a simple way to check the starter is to bypass the relay. In short, there should be three nuts/bolts coming off of the back of the starter. One is connected with a big wire while the other has a smaller one. The big wire is what carries the current from you battery to power the starter (hence why your battery goes dead when you try to start you vehicle to no avail) and the smaller one is connected to your ignition switch. With a wrench, hammer or what ever, touch both terminals (big wire to small wire). This will cause the starter to activate with out the rest of the engine, ignition switch or any connections in between, hence, telling you if it is indeed your starter :) Hope this helps...I've already saved some money by finding out that it was the ignition switch and not the starter! Happy Jeepin in the New Year

Back