• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone know about installing a new furnace?

MJR

NAXJA Forum User
I am buying a new furnace and might need some help installing it if anyone has done it before. It's mighty cold without one right now. Thanks.

Should be removing the old one, installing the new one, making the necessary duct work to connect it to the vents, install a new fresh air/burner vent pipe, wire a power cord in, and to the thermostat. I will when done have to find a professional installer to inspect and start it up for the first time to validate the warranty.

Is it central heat/forced air or wall furnace?

Last edited:
It is a forced air upflow unit.

Goodman GMH950703BX
69,000 BTU Furnace, 95% Efficiency, 2-Stage Burner, Multi-Speed Blower, Upflow/Horizontal Flow Application

scottmcneal said:
Thats a great furnace, I have installed a few of them..If no one is close to you i can run out their for you

Nice to know I made a good choice. Cost a little more for the higher efficiency one but I think the cost difference should be offset by the tax rebate and lower operating cost. The one in my house is most likely the original one when the house was built (1957).

So cold. :)

orig.jpg

Kyung and I recently installed my furnace and AC earlier this year. I dont have much experience with HVAC but I'm willing to help after I return Jan 4th.

That is a good furnace. I can help you with it, but the problem is I'm gonna be pretty booked until the new year. I may have some time on Sunday and on the 1st, but won't know until probably Saturday.
Problem is if we do this on the 1st, there won't be any place to go get parts/supplies if something comes up.

Hey Mike,

I would love to lend a hand, but you know I can't do anything for a couple of weeks due to my surgery. I can come by andsupervise... LOL....

You should run your electric heater at least for a few minutes.....

I don't know crap about it......that said...... I will come and help you. Its too cold to not have heat these days(nights actually,haha). I will PPM you my number and if you need I will come and I am sure we can figure it out.

Ok I picked up the furnace on Sat and it's at home. I have been looking through the install guide and it is confusing me but I have a few questions.

My old furnace is non-direct vent (burner intake air comes from in the closet it's in and there is a vent to the attic which vents outside through vents).

Should I do the same with the new furnace or direct vent it with? http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm/productID/453056394/p/Goodman_DCVK_20 Pros or cons?

Is there a local place to buy the above listed item, duct work metal, and air filter frame? Home Depot didn't have crap. By the way this new furnace is so efficient it uses PVC for the exhaust vent.

One of the things to do during install is to measure the gas pressure and flow which seems kinda involved. I originally thought it would be an easy swap out. Also what about city codes?

I need to know what/where to buy the other stuff needed to install it. I do not mind spending a little more to do it right.

Last edited:
MJR said:
My old furnace is non-direct vent (burner intake air comes from in the closet it's in and there is a vent to the attic which vents outside through vents).

Should I do the same with the new furnace or direct vent it with? http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm/productID/453056394/p/Goodman_DCVK_20 Pros or cons?

Sucking in combustion air from the outside might make a big difference if your house was tightly sealed and well insulated. Much like a Jeep, if you're replacing the exhaust vent, go ahead with the upgrade to the vent. If not, just continue to suck combustion air through the house.

Also what about city codes?
It's legal for you do the work yourself and then have it inspected later.

Andy

I have a lot of questions. First it seems a pain to find certain items at the local Lowe's or Home Depot. Second thanks to Josh for coming over and making/helping me remove stuff. We ripped out all the ducting and the old furnace.

First question. The duct opening on the furnace is 16"x20" (WxD) but the opening in the ceiling between the 2x4's is 14"x22" (WxD). Now accounting for 1" of insulation around it I am left with a 12"x20" opening. Should I make the opening larger to get a 16"x20" plenum in with 1" insulation around it or just neck the plenum down to 12"x20"?

Second question. Can I use the aluminum foil tape to seal around the plenum and all ducting prior to installing insulation on it all or will the metal ducting get too hot to use it? How hot is the discharge air from a furnace anyway?

Third since the ducting was laying on the joists in the attic and I need 1" space between them and the ducting is more insulation required for combustible clearance or is there a spacer for doing it?

Fourth question. The new furnace only needs a 2" vent/fule pipe but I have an existing 4" hole from the old pipe I am removing. Should I redo the flashing on the roof for a smaller pipe or use 4" and neck in down before the furnace?

And where in hell can I get professional duct tape (Nashua 558CA), foil tape, and a furnace air filter holder frame locally?

More than a little frustrated tonight (not necessarily about the furnace stuff) and my DVD/VCR has pissed me off for the last time. I ripped it out and threw it into the courtyard smashing it to bits, now I feel better. Thanks for following along.

Last edited:
MJR said:
I have a lot of questions. First it seems a pain to find certain items at the local Lowe's or Home Depot. Second thanks to Josh for coming over and making/helping me remove stuff. We ripped out all the ducting and the old furnace.

First question. The duct opening on the furnace is 16"x20" (WxD) but the opening in the ceiling between the 2x4's is 14"x22" (WxD). Now accounting for 1" of insulation around it I am left with a 12"x20" opening. Should I make the opening larger to get a 16"x20" plenum in with 1" insulation around it or just neck the plenum down to 12"x20"?

Second question. Can I use the aluminum foil tape to seal around the plenum and all ducting prior to installing insulation on it all or will the metal ducting get too hot to use it? How hot is the discharge air from a furnace anyway?

Third since the ducting was laying on the joists in the attic and I need 1" space between them and the ducting is more insulation required for combustible clearance or is there a spacer for doing it?

Fourth question. The new furnace only needs a 2" vent/fule pipe but I have an existing 4" hole from the old pipe I am removing. Should I redo the flashing on the roof for a smaller pipe or use 4" and neck in down before the furnace?

And where in hell can I get professional duct tape (Nashua 558CA), foil tape, and a furnace air filter holder frame locally?

More than a little frustrated tonight (not necessarily about the furnace stuff) and my DVD/VCR has pissed me off for the last time. I ripped it out and threw it into the courtyard smashing it to bits, now I feel better. Thanks for following along.
First ?: Should be fine necking down to the fit existing opening. You'll loose more pressure at the duct transitions than at the plenum.

Second ?: Yes. You can use the ul181A-P tape directly on all ducting before wrapping with duct insulation. The discharge is no where near hot enough to cause problems. That's what the tape is rated for.

Third ?: You can just lay it on the joists like it was or you can hang the ducting from the rafters with metal or preferably plastic straps/hangers.

Fourth ?: Either way. Flip a coin if you like.

Is that tape the sample I gave you? You should be able to find it at Home Depot. That's where I got it last. UL 181B-FX for the flex ducting and UL181A-P for the plenum.

Poor DVD player...:eek:

MJR said:

NOTICE... I am not Bob Villa, nor do I play Richard Trethewy on the Internet. However, I have watched This Old House since its beginning and that makes me anything but an expert.

Necking down will increase the velocity of the airflow while decreasing the volume.

That might be a building code question.

The exhaust inmodern furnaces are mich cooler than years past. Exhaust gasses carry a great deal of moisture and a properly sized vent duct will allow the moisture to travel up and out. Resizing to a bigger diameter might allow condensation to form on the interior surfaces of the flue. That would be bad! RTFM or call the manufacturer for clarification.

Don't forget to recycle the pieces. It's the law!:pirate1:

Andy

Andy Steiner said:
NOTICE... I am not Bob Villa, nor do I play Richard Trethewy on the Internet. However, I have watched This Old House since its beginning and that makes me anything but an expert.

Necking down will increase the velocity of the airflow while decreasing the volume.

That might be a building code question.

The exhaust inmodern furnaces are mich cooler than years past. Exhaust gasses carry a great deal of moisture and a properly sized vent duct will allow the moisture to travel up and out. Resizing to a bigger diameter might allow condensation to form on the interior surfaces of the flue. That would be bad! RTFM or call the manufacturer for clarification.

Don't forget to recycle the pieces. It's the law!:pirate1:

Andy
His furnace is a high efficiency condensing furnace so there will always be condensation in the exhaust when it is in operation. That's why they have condensate drains. In other words, not a problem.

no problem on the help man...its only a fraction of my gratitude for your help in the past.

Mike, I have left over foil alum tape that you can use. Its pricey stuff and I'd feel better to see it go to good use. It might not be enough for what you need to do but it will help.

Kyung knows his stuff...its what the man does... :)

Back