• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Block heater

pataterchip

NAXJA Forum User
I have a block heater in what appears to be one of the freeze plug holes, It is leaking. I live in southern california so I have no need for a block heater, Can I take it out and replace if with a freeze plug and if so, what does the inside of the thing look like (will it come right out or is it some how connected)?

On my TJ, the block heater was basically a heated coil in a water passage... It was easily replaced by whatever stock freeze plug belonged in that particular hole. Its been years now... but I recall it leaking too, and my fix was a freeze plug and some silicone.

As far as i understand its the same hole for a freeze plug, so if you dont want to replace it with another block heater then another freeze plug should suffice.

Its just stuck in the block, check the site below for pics of various freeze plugs (found doing a simple google search):
Code:
http://www.440source.com/freezeplugs.htm

It is "punched" out from what i understand. I guess the hardest part would be giving yourself enough room to work.
Hope that helps.

Back