• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

balencer rubbing.

pataterchip

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever had a problem with the balencer rubbing on the timeing chain cover, I haven't taken it apart but clearly it has rubbed the cover is that possible and how does that happen and how do I fix... any help appreciated!

Common problem. Hopefully you don't have a hole in the cover yet. The harmonic balancer is two pieces with rubber between them. When the rubber breaks down the outer section walks backwards and into the timing cover. You need to replace the harmonic balancer. I recommend replacing the front crank seal while you're there.

pataterchip said:
will this mess up the brand new permatex oil pan gasket I just put in

The front crankshaft seal is usually sold as a "set" including the timing chain cover gasket, and the lower gasket going between the bottom of the cover and the top front of the oil pan. If you did not get the one peice rubber gasket, then this would be a perfect replacement. Instructions are included in the kit. If you did get the one peice gasket, then no damage is done, and it can be reused.
The only way all the above would be a factor is if you had some reason to remove the timing chain cover. The front crankshaft seal is fairly easy to remove when the timing cover is still on the Jeep, so it really shouldnt matter. Pull the old one out with a standard screwdriver (Some people have other ways to remove it. Doing it with a screwdriver works, just be carefull not to score the timing cover). The installation of the new seal is the critical part however. Carefully, and evenly tap the new seal into its home. I find it ALOT easier to use a large socket (roughly the diameter of the seal) to help keep even force when installing the seal. Also, its critical to apply oil to the seal right before your going to install the new harmonic balancer (I also put oil on the outer shaft of the HB as well).

I hope all this info helps.

Last edited:
My preferred method is to run a sheet metal screw into the metal part of the seal and pry on it with a little 6" crow bar. I think the last time I bought the seal it was $6 or $7? Another hint is to get a longer bolt to fit the crank to pull the balancer back on. The stock one is too short to pull the balancer on as it only catches a few threads, which you don't want to rip out (seen a few posts about people who inadvertently did that).

It's technically called the front crank seal.....Lawsoncl said the harmonic balancer needs to be replaced....thats good, not nearly strong enough wording.....It MUST be replaced IMMEDIATELY!!!!....the outer ring can fly off and destroy more stuff under the hood than you can imagine....additionally, it cannot do it's job which as the name implies is to dampen harmonics...in other words....if it is bad, your crankshaft and main bearings are not happy...

You will need a puller to get it off....remove the belts and stuff, remove the bolt, take off the big washer and screw the bolt back into the crank so you dont mess up the threads in the crank, install the puller and pull the old damper off...pop ou the seal, lube the lip of the new seal with grease and carefully drive it in place....install the square key in the slot, make sure everything lines up and wiggle the new damper on as far as possible....now you need a pusher tool to push the damper in place....do not hammer on it...take the bolt that goes into the crank, go to an auto parts store...if you have an autozone nearby and they have the tool, you can rent it cheap...just be sure you have the right size and pitch...do not force the wrong tool into the threads....push the damper in place, install the original bolt and big washer, torque it down...reinstall the belts, etc....note this can be done from underneath the rig...hope this helps.

To OP what year is the rig.

To anyone, what would you say the average life on a HB is? Doing a new fanbelt, and idler pulley, might as well put that pulley on....

The one on my 91 model crapped out a month ago...

..........as in the rubber was starting to peel out, or it walked off, and you ate a belt up :)

JNickel101 said:

This is what comes up for my 90 XJ on NAPA's Site.

Mine started to come off "the other way". It came out so far it almost started to hit the mechanical fan (when it was still installed).:gonnablow

That was last year, and i doubt it had ever been replaced.
My opinion is that if you think its never been replaced, and your "thinking" of replacing it, then go for it. The combined cost of the seal, and the HB itself is minimal, so go for it. Sounds like prevenative maintenance to me.

When mine failed it did like Muad'Dib's did....one morning I cranked it up to go to work and tink,tink,tink while it idled, and rattled when I revved it up...I thought it was the fan clutch going out....nope, the outer was trying to walk off the HB...Quick trip to Autozone and a hour or so later it was done.

Over the years I have seen many vehicles come into the shops I have worked at where the balancer had come apart (all brands of vehicles) And they take out everything they hit...I saw one on a Buick go thru the radiator and grille and exit the vehicle...no matter what it is usually massive carnage.

Back