• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crusing in neutral

squidwerd

NAXJA Forum User
just wondering... not like i do this at all, but does it hurt anything to cruse in neutral in an automatic while the engine is still idleing. want to know cuz it would be a lot easier to press the brake every once and a while then the gas a lot. tia

Yer talking about "Mexican Overdrive." I've been known to do that on long downhill grades (gentle grades, steeper ones should be gone down in gear for compression braking) in manual and automatics without ill effect. You shouldn't have any trouble.

BTW - how came you across the moniker "squidwerd?" A mite unusual, that...

5-90

I don't know about the AW4, but with the Chevy trannies this will cause the bands to tighten, eventually ruining the whole gearbox.

I wouldn't do it.

Well, engine braking is very effective and doesn't use much gas, so there's little benefit to rolling downhill in neutral.

I think it's illegal in many states to be moving without having the vehicle in gear.

Grapevive, CA.

Cheap XJ,
I see you cheated on the pic of your XJ by tilting the camera. I guess Kuz you've never driven down a 5% grade and found yourself doing a 100mph in a heartbeat with 3 weeks worth of camping gear snuggled up behind you, bearing down on a Mack doing 45mph. I dare you, geardown!!! Been-there Done-that one value and piston jod later & 25yrs ago.
Craig

PS

Back