• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilt crate engines

Well just to toss it in there, what do people think of Golen?

Looks like the first link has a 12mo/unlimited mileage warranty, the Titan has a 3 year/36K warranty and Golen has a 3 year/unspecified mileage warranty.

I'd say for $500 extra, I'd go with the Titan because of the longer warranty.

I would first try a reputable engine builder within a reasonable distance.

Don't forget that some companies (Titan is one) require a hefty core charge. Golen does not. Also, think about freight--in pricing prebuilt strokers I found that considering the core charge and freight that Golen was not much more than Titan for me on the East coast (I'd drive down to NH and pick it up) of course, your geographic location may yeild different results.

Trust me I know that cheaper is mighty appealing....but you get what you pay for....I have customers ask all the time "I like this, but how can we cut the price down some?"....my answer is what part of what you need do you want to cut out?

I know nothing about the economy engine listed....I do know two people that have Golen motors and those have been reliable....fortunately I can do my own engine work, partly for my own satisfaction but mostly so I have direct control of the quality of the build.

If I was in the position where I had to pay someone to build a motor for me, I would use Hesco if I could afford it. If not, it would be Golen. Beyond that I would find a reputable local builder that is not afraid to open up his satisfied customer list and make some calls.

It is WAY too easy to throw something together....after all your basic stroker can be built with all stock parts...sell it and if it has problems....oh well, you obviously did something to it to tear it up. The net is full of those stories.

I could build it myself, but I don't want to spend the time. I'm short enough on spare time as it is, and I would be installing it myself.

What about the kits? 1000 bucks for a kit doesn't seem terrible, no cam included though.

The crank is vital...it must be straight and properly finished...if you buy a kit, be sure to ask if you can return it if the parts do not pass inspection...and have the parts checked by a qualified machine shop...especially the crank journals...it is impossible to tell the difference between a perfectly finished crank and a piece of junk by eyeball...taper and out of round hide perfectly behind a nice polish job. Rods are important also....have them checked...a lot of "refinishers" use a process that is completely unacceptable for performance applications.

Price seems fair; if they were local I would jump at in if everything checked out with regards to some details.

I would go with a local shop.

I blew up my engine in 2002 and I learned about golens and I was on the fence whether to go with them or not. They were nice and straight up with me on the phone, but the hitch for me was how do they go about warranting an engine if I am in Michigan and they are in new jersey (if I recall correctly).

I would find a local shop you trust to build it first. That’s what I ended up doing, I had to get mine on the road in a hurry and didn’t have time to learn about what parts I wanted in my stroker and what not..... so I just got a nice clean rebuild.

If you have time, ask around find the quality parts you want, get it stroked to 4.6 or 4.7 but no bigger and have it done locally. That way when something breaks you can talk to the guy in person. I have no idea how golens would service or warrant my engine from jersey and I never could get anyone to explain how they would.

The amount someone cares about you is directly proportional to how much of your money they have, and how far away you are and how much can be done about it. You are far, they have your money, and you need a working vehicle. They will gamble on the fact you will take the loss and just not use them anymore.

The better shops in your town don’t know any less or have any less equipment than golens or titan, or jasper or any big name rebuilder. They make their money 100 % on reputation. A long distance warranty on any product I cant mail back for a few bucks is worthless to me.

motorcityxj said:
I blew up my engine in 2002 and I learned about golens and I was on the fence whether to go with them or not. They were nice and straight up with me on the phone, but the hitch for me was how do they go about warranting an engine if I am in Michigan and they are in new jersey (if I recall correctly).

They are in New Hampshire, but you make a good point. For us on the
East Coast, they might make sense. For those further West, perhaps not.

I just talked to Titan via telephone. Thought I would post the info they quoted me.

Core charge $350
4.6L is a .30 over bore. Est 250hp
4.7L is a .40 over bore. Est 275hp
Stroker is complete. $2400.00 + shipping/core
3 years/ 36000 mile warranty.
Shipping to Savannah, GA est $85 (that wont help anyone)

My delima is:
The XJ I have built is a '92. I have a '99 stripped down in my dirveway that can be used as the core donor for the stroker. What needs to be done to swap the '99 engine in to the '92??? Is it as simple as swaping out the ECU and wiring harness?

Sorry, Titan is located in Ocala, FL.

If the 92 is an HO the 99 will not have very many annoying problems. I have been told, and read, but not done myself, that all HO's up to the 99 to 2000 switch can use the same ECM computer setup.
Again I have not personally done this, but it seems logical with just a cursory glance at the wire diagram it looks really the same. An easy check would be to plug the 99 computer in a 92 model and see if it works.

Before I do that, I would like to know if anyone knows if that would be detrimental or not. I dont see why, but would like some more input. Just simple CYA...

99 is coil on plug (won't bolt to a 92 Head)
92 is distributor (no problem on 99 block)

99 has 3 plug ECM and is OBD II(ECM not intechangable with year)
92 has 1 large plug ECM and Is OBD I

What exactly do you plan on using where?

The ECU from the '99 is different, I knew that. I guess I had a bone head moment. It does not have coil on plug though. Date of manufacture is 4-99. Maybe later in the year they went to coil on plug, but not on mine. The OBD1 to OBD2 is an issue though. Titan's strokers are for '99-'04 jeeps. I guess for OBD2 purposes.

I am hoping to put their stroker in my '92 but I will have to figure out the logistics of the swap. I might go down to the local racing shop and see what they will quote me for a build using the existing engine in my '92.

Back