• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weld locker

RedJeep2.0

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
i want to save money and weld up my front dana 30..
is there a better, pritty cheap way???

what i got
4.5inch lift 33's stock axels
winch and bumpers

Does this thing drive on the street that much, or at all? If it sees street time, I highly suggest not welding your front, you won't be able to turn.

Even a spool would be better than a "Lincoln Locker"

Actually, I have a used lunchbox locker for the front D30 I don't need, if you want it I'll gladly sell it to you.

how much, I might be interested!

Argh...a thread pirate...:piratefla

Since it's a '88 it probably has a axle disconnect. Make that cable operated so you can unlock it. Be prepared to blow up parts and have fun. I wouldn't do it but now people who did and they said it worked OK. They all put real lockers in after too many broken parts.

yeah is an 88 so there is a vac dico. so thats not a big deal. it dose not hit the street to much, i have a older honda i drive 38 miles to and from work every day. the jeep is in the street to and from wheeling and sat. night to dukes bar...
isnt a mini spool the same thing?
what will brake if i wled it, and nothing will brake if i spool it???
ATT00001hhh.jpg

DrMoab said:
A spool will break things just as bad.

Put a locker in it and save yourself time and money in the future.

hmm... is it because a locker has some give to it?
and a spool is just locked?

A locker unlocks when its not under load.

For example, when you are in 2 wheel drive
Or going around a corner and let off the gas.

redjeep3 said:
what will brake if i wled it, and nothing will brake if i spool it???...
A welded carrier and a spool do essentially the same thing. Both wheels are "locked" together and rotate at the same time/speed/direction with no variation. If you end up breaking parts with one... the other will cause the same.

A locker will generally allow for the wheels to turn at different speeds when not loaded. There are many different types. Do some searching and you'll find all the information you need and then some.

redjeep3 said:
ok thanks, so im gunna brake stuff in town turning. cuz thats the only diff. between the two?

Not quite. You're going to break stuff everywhere - in town, you will have a hard time being -ABLE- to turn.

You're overthinking it. :)

With a spool/welded up front, you break more. With an auto locker, every time you let off the gas, it gives the locker a chance to unload and release tension on the front shafts. With a spool that doesnt happen, so there is going to be a higher carnage factor, on and off road.

The facts....if you have a functioning disconnect, you can run it on the street disconnected....but the left side will allways be running the carrier and the drive shaft will allways turn....it can cause the rig to pull left so be aware of that....if you run it connected on the street, you risk breaking axles and or u-joints when you turn on pavement. (IF THERE IS PLENTY OF TRACTION)

Connected it will make the rig difficult to turn if the terrain has much traction....you will turn the wheels and the rig will keep going straight...a bit less of a problem in low traction terrain like bad mud.

You are less likely to break something using a mechanical style locker on the street than you are with a spool or lincon locked front axle. As said before, if the lunchbox locker isn't getting any load, it will allow slipping, so you can turn around corners and such.

Edit: I didn't see there was a 2nd page, Cal beat me to it.

Well I guess I'll just be different.

Since it is an 88 with a vaccume dissconnect I'd say weld it up. It will give you a chance to see how much better locked is. Plus you can get spares SUPER cheap for those old axles. I used to get them for $10 a side with unit bearing still attached.

It's not like the whole thing is going to explode as soon as you drive it with it welded. Welding the front was one of the first mods things I did to my XJ. It saved me a bunch of money and got my on the trail so I could learn a few things. It had some serious downsides, mostly turning, so I put a lockright in when I did the gears later on.

Since it sounds like your axle is mostly stock you will probably have to get a different carrier when you go to deeper gears anyway.

Weld it up and get yourself a full set of spares. Then start saving your money for a real upgrade like a diecent locker and some alloys if you want to stick with the 30 or a different front if thats what you want.

jmop said:
Well I guess I'll just be different.

Since it is an 88 with a vaccume dissconnect I'd say weld it up. It will give you a chance to see how much better locked is. Plus you can get spares SUPER cheap for those old axles. I used to get them for $10 a side with unit bearing still attached.

It's not like the whole thing is going to explode as soon as you drive it with it welded. Welding the front was one of the first mods things I did to my XJ. It saved me a bunch of money and got my on the trail so I could learn a few things. It had some serious downsides, mostly turning, so I put a lockright in when I did the gears later on.

Since it sounds like your axle is mostly stock you will probably have to get a different carrier when you go to deeper gears anyway.

Weld it up and get yourself a full set of spares. Then start saving your money for a real upgrade like a diecent locker and some alloys if you want to stick with the 30 or a different front if thats what you want.

sweet thanks man, thats kinda what i was thinking, but what do you mean by spares??

Back