• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 grease caps

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this may seem like a retarded question..... but do I need grease (or dust) caps on my d30? it doesn't have any on there now, and the hubs are exposed. I have seen other xj's without them also, so I'd kinda like to know if I really need them. and will I need to rebuild my hubs, after wheeling it twice, once with a crapload of mud? I'm kinda dreading the response, but I need to know...:dunno:

The hubs on the XJ D30 are sealed bearing units. So their is nothing you can rebuild. You just replace it with a new hub if it's bad.

so in other words... I'm good?

awesome. Thanks guys. good to know. hey pataterchip, where in CA do ya live?

tayman said:
Ok, this may seem like a retarded question..... but do I need grease (or dust) caps on my d30? it doesn't have any on there now, and the hubs are exposed. I have seen other xj's without them also, so I'd kinda like to know if I really need them. and will I need to rebuild my hubs, after wheeling it twice, once with a crapload of mud? I'm kinda dreading the response, but I need to know...:dunno:
Wash the mud away from the inner hub seals, sand will wear them away quick. If/when you replace a U-joint, pack the inside of the hub with grease, check the inner seal. The grease helps keep the water out and inhibits rust. The bearings are sealed but the shaft splines and the inside of the hub can get pretty cruddy over time if water seeps in.
I pressure wash all the seals periodically, to wash away oil seepage that snad can stick to or just the mud.
Same with the brakes, the fronts collect mud and the inside of the drum can get full of sand.

yeah, I'll have to do that... so what about getting dust caps so I don't have to really worry about it at all? know of anybody who has them?

tayman said:
yeah, I'll have to do that... so what about getting dust caps so I don't have to really worry about it at all? know of anybody who has them?

do you mean to cover the axle nut?? there is no need for them and i dont think anyone makes them either. if you dont like them being ugly get a set of center caps for your wheels.

Actually, those seal the axle tubes so that no mud or dirty gets in there, and gets into the inner axle seal. Those have nothing to do with the hubs. If you look at where your inner axle shaft goes into the housing, you'll see a small black circular piece of plastic. This just keeps large debrie from entering in there and getting into the seal, and possibly the diff. They are good to have, especially if you do a lot of mud.

I wish I had a set of these on my axle shafts, because when I went to put my axle shafts back in, the spline ends were covered in dirt front the axle tubes.

got it... I'm really not sure what I'm doing with the front end though... I'm going to be doing a diesel swap when I get the money for it... I may end up with different axles, and I don't wheel all that often, so I'm not too worried about it. as long as they're sealed ENOUGH to keep most crap out...

tayman said:
got it... I'm really not sure what I'm doing with the front end though... I'm going to be doing a diesel swap when I get the money for it... I may end up with different axles, and I don't wheel all that often, so I'm not too worried about it. as long as they're sealed ENOUGH to keep most crap out...

A lot of people forget about the inner seal where the stub axle shaft goes through the back of the hub. The seal is in the hub, the race for the seal is on the stub shaft.
I've seen worn out seals, the race rubbed almost all the way through and the seals and race misaligned and not even touching each other. This usually the spot water finds it's way inside the hub.

Back