• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what size u bolts for 8.25 axle?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, got a buddy that is selling me his D30/8.25 for my D30/8.25. (his have 4.56 gears locker in front, limited slip in rear).

I am going to get some brake fluid, and I want to get now u bolts for the rear axle... WHAT SIZE U BOLTS do I need?

Also, what size straps for the front and rear driveshafts.... can I buy just straps without u-joints?

Thanks!

They need to fit a 3" axle tube, should also be 1/2" diameter amd have 1/2"x20 threads. Length will depend on the amount of springs, blocks, wedges, etc. Your u-bolt plates will work just fine.

Just ask for some u-joint straps for your XJ. should be able to buy them seperate with no issues.

thanks a ton! hoping to buy bolts tomorrow and swap sunday!!

It's not the best setup, but should still be drivable in snow and do bettter than now off road.

Dont pick them up at an auto parts store - they use cheap metal that doesnt hold up. Find a local axle or spring shop and they can make you some new ones custom while you wait. A set will run about $40 for all 4.

With my 8.25 I ran 5/8" bolt, 3" ID and 9" long. I had a 5 leaf RE pack and a 1" lift block.

cal said:
Dont pick them up at an auto parts store - they use cheap metal that doesnt hold up. Find a local axle or spring shop and they can make you some new ones custom while you wait. A set will run about $40 for all 4.

With my 8.25 I ran 5/8" bolt, 3" ID and 9" long. I had a 5 leaf RE pack and a 1" lift block.

X2, I shoulda added that! I get them made at a local spring and driveshaft shop for $25 set of 4.

cal said:

I second that, I had mine done custom and they are damn stout. I paid about $36 for the bolts and washers/nuts. The nuts were almost twice as tall as the parts store crap. No worries about breakage or stripping them.

Back