• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Spare Tire Carrier Parts List?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I've found a local salvage yard (not a pick your part) that has 2 of the OEM Swing Out Spare tire carriers.... one of each style (Mopar and AMC)

Unfortunately the Jeeps that these were on have both been crushed, the carriers are just hanging up in the yard. I went and looked at them today, and I'm thinking that there may be parts missing.

What parts do you need to make either of them work in addition to the carrier itself? Do they latch to the bumper or the gate? What kind of reinforcements do there need to be?

I'd like to pick one up, but for what he wants for them I'd like to know I'm getting all the parts.

I thought I had written this up but it was on another forum that since lost the info. So, here goes

Like I already posted heres a photo of the carrier.

JFxx.jpg

Other than nuts and bolts, which I do not remember sizes etc. even though I had to buy all new fasteners. You'll need the strike plate. It should have a rubber bushing and fit into the top of the carrier in a male/female way.

JFxxx.jpg

My suggestion is to mount the carrier to the bumper first and then figure exactly where the plate needs to be on your hatch.

You'll need the plate that is moulded to fit a stock bumper and bolts on where the rubber bumper guard WOULD be thru the bumper onto the bumper mounting bracket.

JFxxxxx.jpg

The hinge should be intact with a large torx top and bottom and poly or teflon washers.
There should also be a rubber bumper on the top portion that is adjustable for better fit.

You'll have to cut part of the bumper end cap around all the hardware. A stock factory cap WITH a tire carrier is already made to fit if you can snag that end cap you'll be ahead of the game. Basically I used a dremel and cut what I needed (kind of butched it) so it looks pretty good unless you're right on top of it.

TC2.jpg

Since there is no set latch or safety built in I just cabled it with a clip to the hitch ears in case I forgot or failed to latch it I didn't want it swinging all over the road.

JFxxxx.jpg

Then I put the lisence plate on the carrier instead of screwing it to the sheet metal on the left side (I think it looks better and somewhat like it's supposed to be there.

JFxxxxxx.jpg

Hope this helps, good luck

I don't have a picture

Paradise, thanks!

You answered all my questions on the Mopar style one. The strike plate appears to be the only part missing from that one, and I'm assuming it needs the strike plate to latch properly.

I'm wondering how hard a strike plate would be to locate....

That style of carrier also had a bracket behind the bumper, in the hinge area, that connected the swing to the unibody to distribute the weight of the tire and carrier. I had to go back to the junkyard a second time to get the bracket.

Yeah,
Strike plate absolutely necessary. Without it they shouldn't be selling it as it's part of the unit. Also, this will only fit a stock style bumber. If you ever plan to go HD or aftermarket bumper you may be better off biting the bullet. I looked for this one for a long time. There are other heavier duty ones out there, but $$$.

Good luck.

I think I'm gonna pass.

I found an exploded view diagram of both carriers, and there are alot of parts missing, all discontinued.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and go aftermarket.

Back