• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 u-bolt yoke?

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if there is a u-bolt yoke for the 8.25? One of the strap bolts broke and the resulting removal has left half the needed threads. I'm good for now, but I need to replace a u-joints. While I have the shaft off I might as well fix this future problem for good.

Angus

There were some older dodge trucks with 8.25's and u-bolt style yokes, but thats the only place I have ever seen them. One sold on ebay for about $60 a couple weeks ago, off of an old charger.

Whatever you do, whatever people tell you, its not a good idea to re-drill the holes and grind it to fit a u-bolt and nut. I tried that once, and my local driveline shop nearly disowned me. He showed me how the u-bolt was inboarded a bit too much on the u-joint cap after doing that and was causing early wear to the needle bearings.

I wasn't planning on modifying me current yoke. I had to drill out the bolt when it broke and that left some threads ruined. I fixed it for now with new longer bolts, but want to get the u-bolt yoke so this doesn't happen again. Unfortunately I'm getting new vibes from the rear shaft and know the removal is coming.

Thanks

There are 2 yokes up on ebay right now, but they look like strap type yokes to me.

Bad link.

I went and checked randy's though before I posted, and all of the 8.25 yokes either arent for a 1310, specify straps or show straps in the product image.

If I were to spend 120$ on a yoke, Id definately consider doing it right.Since the 8.25 uses a "crush sleeve" for pinion pre-load and your changing the yoke(not just a seal),I would want to pull the carrier.Its really not to bad since they have the adjustment collars vs shims.The only down side is you need a in/lb torque wrench!

Back