• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of tire pressure to start with

Backroads

NAXJA Forum User
Just got some new treads finally. 32" bighorns. Just wondering what PSI to run them at? I didnt put them on yet (still got work to do) but I was curious what other guys are running for street in tires that size. Sorry for a dumb question I've never had tires on bigger than stock . :dunno:

i find 20 psi is a happy medium between street driving and off-roadin'. but if you were to have access to a air compressor you might want to play around with levels to see what suits you the best.

if you were strictly street crusin' then i would definitely bump the the pressure up for better mileage and handling.

I'd start with 30 on the street, and off road depends on what type of terrain. For normal trails try 15, but for sand and snow more like 5-6.

Yea I'm mostly just looking for onroad pressure for right now. I usually run around 33 up from and 32 in the back on stock tires and stock rims. But with these on 8" wide cragars and all that extra rubber I wasnt sure where to start

I typically run 28-32 on the street and the same off-road unless it's snow/ice wheeling, then I drop down to 20ish. I've run as low as 8 psi on the Outer Banks Carova Beach.

I always keep mine at 32 PSI on road, but you should really keep them at whatever your tread contact is best at (chalk trick)

As Tuna said, you want to see what the best PSI is for the tires. You can do the chalk test, or find some water/dry pavement in a parking lot somewhere and drive through it, see how much tread is contacting the road... adjust accordingly.

pay close attention to how they wear as well. when you rotate them, check to see if they are wearing evenly. if they are wearing more in the middle, lower the pressure a bit and see how that goes. the 8" wheels should help with that since the tire wont bulge as much. fwiw, i run 22psi up front and 20psi in the rear on my 33" trxus. they are known to wear in the center but they seem pretty good between 20-25psi. its a relatively low psi, i may have started out with them closer to 30psi but i am happy with my current pressure. its not great for gas mileage but its all give and take...

I run 35psi on the street, 10-15 on the trails

It also depends on the width of the rim, a 33" tire on a 8" wide rim will require more air pressure than a 33" tire on a 7" wide rim would to acheive the same footprint.

Best to use chalk (or water as mentioned)

Back