• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caster, pinion angle, and the vac disco

law.74

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 DD with a whopping 1" of lift currently that I will eventually make much more trail worthy. I'm stock piling parts as time allows hoping for time in the future to do some actual wrenching.

I realize I will "need" a HP d30 (or 44) before doing any real lifting, but I'm still curious about whether I should get a vac disco axle to allow me to have both good caster adjustment and avoid a spinning driveline (without buying warn or MM hubs).

I've built a '90 with HP vac disco d30 before which allowed my to adjust my caster where I wanted it and put the pinion very close without having to worry about vibrations on the highway. I loved having 2low on the fly with the vac disco and am not afraid of building a cable "posi-lock" or even a pneumatic mechanism to shift the fork.

I guess my question is; does anyone make aftermarket shafts for a d30 that doesn't eliminate the vac disco? I anticipate this heep will not see larger than 33" tires without considerably larger axles that frankly will not be a reality until my current grad student debt to income ratio changes substantially. Having to run OEM shafts will be a deal breaker. No pun intended.

TIA
comments?

No. There are no upgraded vacume disconnect shafts, and with good reason. :)

Unless you plan on exceeding about 7" of lift, you won't have a problem finding a good median of pinion and caster angles with a hp30.

Back