• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Axle Swap

Rob Crouch

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 XJ was recently in an accident and I need to swap out my Dana 30 front end. I am looking for a new one but am confused on the exact dana 30 type I need. I do not have ABS and my gear ratio is a 3.55. I know I don't need the vacume actuated 4 wheel drive but wouldn't know how to spot it on a used axle anyway. So I guess my real question is what are the years of cherokees I can use the dana 30 front axle out of to fit under my 99?

Vacuum discos are easy to spot they are on the passenger side and there is a diaphram assembly attached to the axle tube IIRC. They are hard to mistake for a non-disco.

Rob Crouch said:
really? I can put any year under it that doesn't have the vacuum discos on it as long as it has the right gear ratio?
yep, it doesn't matter if it came from an ABS jeep either, just ignore the tone rings.
96-99 is youre best bet though, you don't want an 00-01 axle, as it's low pinion. It would work, but the high pinion units are stronger.
Right now there'a 97 HP D30 under my 87 MJ ;)

Yes, but 00 and 01 models will have the LP 30, which would be a downgrade in usable strength. Also the brake setups changed slightly so you would either want to use your knuckles and brakes or swap in WJ knuckles and steering from a grand cherokee since it's stronger and you're rebuilding it anyway.

87manche, wasn't there some kind of brake rotor depth difference between a few of the year models, and the advent of a "composite" rotor on the newest ones? I know that 96-99 were identical, but there were some minor changes in brake parts for other year ranges weren't there?

Yes the tone rings can be ignored.

There are some differences in the brake rotors, you must get the rotor that matches your unit bearing year.
Currently my franken 30 consists of this:
a 97 housing
89 knuckles and brake caliper
97 unit bearings and rotors
Yes, it all works fine, and has for about 20K miles.
if you have the wrong rotor it will become very evident when you put the wheel on, the wheel will push the rotor into the brake pads, and you won't be able to turn it.

Back