• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building a storage box, how to securely mount

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hey guys

Done alot of searching on this topic and I think I'm going to begin building a rear storage box for my XJ, similar to Yucca-Man's design. The one thing I've been having trouble with is how to securely mount it so that it doesn't become a projectile in a rollover; alot of the old picture links on the forum are dead. I'm afraid of drilling into something I shouldn't if I just wing it. I know the factory tie downs won't hold the weight.

So, if anyone had pictures of their mounts for rear storage boxes, it would be appreciated!

When I had one, I bolted the rear of it through the floor near the corners, using an eye bolt and a nut above and beneath the floor. Then I had the eyes to use for tie downs. In the front I bolted it through the side of the wheel well.

IntrepidXJ said:
drill holes thru the floor and bolt it down. simple as that

I don't know if you've ever looked under a jeep before, but there is often stuff mounted below the floor. I'd rather not drill a hole only to find that I chose the wrong spot.

Goatman said:
When I had one, I bolted the rear of it through the floor near the corners, using an eye bolt and a nut above and beneath the floor. Then I had the eyes to use for tie downs. In the front I bolted it through the side of the wheel well.

hmm, that could work, guess I'd have to take the spare out though.

IntrepidXJ said:
drill holes thru the floor and bolt it down. simple as that

IslanderOffRoad said:
I don't know if you've ever looked under a jeep before, but there is often stuff mounted below the floor. I'd rather not drill a hole only to find that I chose the wrong spot.
I think Randy knows what he is talking about :gag:

Obviously it takes some common sense and a lot of measuring. I bolted my cargo box through the floor in my old XJ after measuring about 10 times, and several more with my wife inside the XJ and me under it checking. Make sure you have a long drill bit.

IslanderOffRoad said:

then make sure you choose a good spot before you drill.....

...but what do I know, I guess I have never looked under my XJ in that area before....

IMG_0816.JPG

IntrepidXJ said:
then make sure you choose a good spot before you drill.....

...but what do I know, I guess I have never looked under my XJ in that area before....

IMG_0816.JPG

Looks like there's nothing in the way on yours :laugh2:

In all seriousness though, I'm paranoid whenever I have to drill holes into my Jeep, no matter how many times I measure. Hence why I'd like to see where someone else put theirs at, will at least let me sleep better at night.

IntrepidXJ said:
if you put the mounts all the way near the wheel-well on each side, you will be drilling through the floor only, outside of the framerail. it's easy access through the wheel well, and there is no interferance with anything else.

cool, thanks..

looks like its time to move the spare out to make this project easier.

Depending on how much weight your mounts need to secure you may want to consider plate reinforcements or large 304 fender washers. The 18 / 20 gauge sheet metal is pretty easy to pull out of (especially in a roll over).

Also be careful you don't drill into the top of the frame rails as you won't have access to reinforce, etc and be aware drilling into the gas tank can ruin your day :(

Back