• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Slipping?

Tenny

NAXJA Forum User
1994 Cherokee Country - 4.0L - AW4 - NP242

Background:
I have a B&M Transmission Cooler, removed the tow package cooler, still runs through the radiator. Transmission was flushed ~ 8,000 miles ago, before that the Tranny fluid & filter were replaced roughly 20,000 miles ago. I just flushed it because I was at my friends shop and he gave me a good deal, not because there was any problems. Also roughly 30,000 miles ago the tranny slipped as I was going up a hill because the transmission oil line into the radiator broke off and went pretty low in transmission fluid, but I stopped it within a few seconds. I also had starting problems about a year and a half ago, which turned out to be the NSS, which I cleaned. The Transmission fluid is fine, I checked it this morning before I left to work, and also once I got to work (and it had problems once i got to work)

Current Problem:
While stopped at a Stop sign, I let off the brake, and press the gas, it just rev's for a second, then it begins to go. This has happened about 4 times in the past 2 days, but I haven't driven much. At High-speeds it has no problems. It also has only happened when at running temperature so far.

So I am not sure if it's related to the transmission actually having issues, or could it possibly be the linkage going too the transmission? Any ideas on where to look would be great. I did search, but all the problems I found with my search terms were problems with slipping in higher gears, I didn't notice any that were from a start.

make sure you've got DEX lll fluid in it, improper fluid will cause problems. My XJ had DEXlll in it and I flushed it and replaced it with Mopar AFT+4 and it ran okay for a while and then started act up, so I flushed it again and replaced it with DEXlll and all has been well since.

I am not sure what it was flushed with, or filled up with after the flush, although I do know that I've been topping it off with a Dex/Merc ATF (and there is a large leak, so it gets topped off a lot)(this one to be exact: http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=6 ) which says:
Recommended for use where the following fluids are specified:

Ford MERCON®
GM DEXRON III, DEXRON III-G
GM DEXRON, DEXRON II, DEXRON IIE
Ford M2C138-CJ
Ford M2C166-H
Allison C-4

So i figure at least that fluid is ok, but I am concerned with the stuff it was flushed with as I don't know what it is. I am thinking about draining it,and just filling it up in the morning to see how it goes.

Tonight though, while cold it did the same thing, but when I got done with my commute (15-20 miles) it wasn't doing it...

Alright so I think I figured it out.

So I never changed the fluids, I just stopped driving it pretty much. So today we finally had a break from raining this morning when I could take a look at it. After looking really closely I noticed that it seemed to be coming from the Coolant over-flow. Then I look at the Coolant and it's a milky pink color.

When I had the coolant flushed (same time transmission was flushed), I am almost 100% sure that it was fulled with the standard green coolant, not the 'redish pink style'.

So basically what I think is happening is the two fluids are getting mixed in the radiator. Thus I'm loosing my transmission fluid into my coolant fluid, and since the combination of the two is more than the cooling system can handle, thus it's overflowing.

Anyone's thoughts on that?

It sounds like your factory trans cooler in your radiaotr is leaking inside. You could either replace your radiator or just totally bypass the factory cooler for now (since you have an aftermarket one). Once you get back into the warmer months though, Id suggest just replacing the whole radiator to get back that extra cooling from the factory cooler.

Tenny said:
Alright so I think I figured it out.

So I never changed the fluids, I just stopped driving it pretty much. So today we finally had a break from raining this morning when I could take a look at it. After looking really closely I noticed that it seemed to be coming from the Coolant over-flow. Then I look at the Coolant and it's a milky pink color.

When I had the coolant flushed (same time transmission was flushed), I am almost 100% sure that it was fulled with the standard green coolant, not the 'redish pink style'.

So basically what I think is happening is the two fluids are getting mixed in the radiator. Thus I'm loosing my transmission fluid into my coolant fluid, and since the combination of the two is more than the cooling system can handle, thus it's overflowing.

Anyone's thoughts on that?

I've seen a integrated trans cooler leak into the engine coolant before. Its rare, but I can happen. I don't like these kinda coolers, mainly because the factory makes them like that to save money on a "severe duty" transmission cooler. On my XJ, I put in a TCI chevy SB trans cooler/Jegs Aluminum radiator with electric fans and a Jegs catch can becuase I simply don't trust the stock combonation. I also got added MPG with the electric fans too! The combo is only 450 dollars if my memory is right. Its well worth it, considering the amount of heat the trans use to put out.

If you are seeing any transmission fluid in the coolant, I would suspect you have much more coolant leaking into your trans fluid. The coolant is under pressure whereas the trans fluid is under very little pressure. If that's the case you are looking at doing another thorough tranny flush to get all the antifreeze out of there.

Yeah, right now I am just letting it sit for a few days... On Friday or Saturday I'm going to go to my friends shop. I'll pull the radiator put a new GDI 3 Core in, and do a flush of both systems. He was telling me he's only seen this once before, and it took three flushes before his mechanic felt it was truly cleared out. Kinda worried about price though, as I am not too wealthy, but he charges me just the liquid cost, so I'm hoping all together it'll be under $300.. (including the radiator).

lawsoncl said:
If you are seeing any transmission fluid in the coolant, I would suspect you have much more coolant leaking into your trans fluid. The coolant is under pressure whereas the trans fluid is under very little pressure. If that's the case you are looking at doing another thorough tranny flush to get all the antifreeze out of there.

I definitely think this is a valid point, I wouldn't be at all surprised if your tranny is full of coolant. And as far as dealing with the rain the bay ares been getting recently...I know how you feel man, no fun haha.

Well my friend said they no longer make GDI 3 Core's, he was saying GDI is no long around (according to the person he talked to at radiator.com) but the guy did suggest a CSF 3Core, not sure what model, but on their website they only offer one 3 core so I'm assuming it's that one (2573, which will be replaced by 2671).

So has anyone heard anything good about CSF Radiators? They seem pretty good, and apparently DPG sells them, so I'd imagine they are good quality.

CSF is pretty decent. I was getting really good prices from a place that I think was called "the radiator barn". They were all metal, 3 row radiators. And the price was great with a lifetime warrenty... Yeah..just checked. http://radiatorbarn.com/ For my 01, its $164 shipped...all metal 3 row. If the one in my 01 ever goes, thats what Im getting. Shipping seems fast too for being free...

As for getting it flushed and saving money, you could get most if not all of it out on your own. I just did this one my 01 since the fluid looked dirty. You can unhook the pressure line that is AFTER the radiator cooler. Drain the trans pan, and put fresh fluid in there, so you are pushing fresh fluid from the get go.

Then get yourself a gallon jug. I used a windsheild washer jug. Shoudl be somewhat transparent so you can see fluid level. Use a measuring glass, or empty quart oil container, and mark the jug off in increments of 1qt.

Put the trans cooler line that you disconnected into the jug, and have someone start the jeep. It will start pumping. WIth their foot jambed on the brake, and the e brake pulled...have them go through the gears. When I did it, I was alone. I started it, let it pump out two quarts, shut it off, poured in two fresh quarts, then repeated. You MIGHT be able to keep up with the fluid coming out if you have a friend, and IF you warm up the fresh fluid first. I couldnt get it to go down fast enough to keep up...thats why I had to keep shutting it off. I put about 14 quarts though it, and it was coming out clean after that... So I guess it worked pretty good.

Just a thought... case of trans fluid is about $30 at the most. Couple hours of work and you can have most if not all of the fluid circulated out.

J.

ghettocruiser said:
CSF is pretty decent. I was getting really good prices from a place that I think was called "the radiator barn". They were all metal, 3 row radiators. And the price was great with a lifetime warrenty... Yeah..just checked. http://radiatorbarn.com/ For my 01, its $164 shipped...all metal 3 row. If the one in my 01 ever goes, thats what Im getting. Shipping seems fast too for being free...

As for getting it flushed and saving money, you could get most if not all of it out on your own. I just did this one my 01 since the fluid looked dirty. You can unhook the pressure line that is AFTER the radiator cooler. Drain the trans pan, and put fresh fluid in there, so you are pushing fresh fluid from the get go.

Then get yourself a gallon jug. I used a windsheild washer jug. Shoudl be somewhat transparent so you can see fluid level. Use a measuring glass, or empty quart oil container, and mark the jug off in increments of 1qt.

Put the trans cooler line that you disconnected into the jug, and have someone start the jeep. It will start pumping. WIth their foot jambed on the brake, and the e brake pulled...have them go through the gears. When I did it, I was alone. I started it, let it pump out two quarts, shut it off, poured in two fresh quarts, then repeated. You MIGHT be able to keep up with the fluid coming out if you have a friend, and IF you warm up the fresh fluid first. I couldnt get it to go down fast enough to keep up...thats why I had to keep shutting it off. I put about 14 quarts though it, and it was coming out clean after that... So I guess it worked pretty good.

Just a thought... case of trans fluid is about $30 at the most. Couple hours of work and you can have most if not all of the fluid circulated out.

J.

That is the best way to do it. At the shop I work at, we got a nice fluid exchanger, does the same thing only it fills with the equal amount removed. Like you said, changing the filter then doing the exchange is the ONLY way to do it right. Great post!:clap:

Tenny said:
Well my friend said they no longer make GDI 3 Core's, he was saying GDI is no long around (according to the person he talked to at radiator.com) but the guy did suggest a CSF 3Core, not sure what model, but on their website they only offer one 3 core so I'm assuming it's that one (2573, which will be replaced by 2671).

So has anyone heard anything good about CSF Radiators? They seem pretty good, and apparently DPG sells them, so I'd imagine they are good quality.
I've had bad experiences with radiator.com. Their "all-metal radiator" turned out to have plastic tanks that leaked a month later. Getting them to warranty it was a nightmare. Go with radiatorbarn.com. I've been very pleased with them, and their all metal is a CSF brand which seems pretty decent quality to me.

BillBraski said:
That is the best way to do it. At the shop I work at, we got a nice fluid exchanger, does the same thing only it fills with the equal amount removed. Like you said, changing the filter then doing the exchange is the ONLY way to do it right. Great post!:clap:
I'm not too worried about the cost of the flush, he told me he will only charge me the fluids, and if I want, I can just bring the fluids, but he gets them at a discount so I'm having him do that...

But I will do a a single flush of the tranny before I bring it over there, so that it's a bit cleaner. Thanks for the tips!

Back