• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty's 6" or RE 5.5" lift

Vancity-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
im looking to get a new lift kit soon

looked at RE 5.5" short arm $1500 shocks not included so another $150-300
with shocks

also looked at rusty's 6.5" short arm with full packs $999

my question is your expirience with rusty's lift kits
are they cheap made like rough country ones, do the rear springs sag

Ive seen their long arm kit being installed on "EXTREME 4x4" so thinking
they are good since did it on that TV show

anyways i would like to your expirience with both kits
im planning to run 33x12.5

thanks guys

Say what? RC cheap, sag? They all sag after awhile, I wish mine would, so it will level out.. I hear that rusty's is crap an R E is good, just cost more than the rest.. If you want too save money, i would go with the R C lift.. The 6" lift has all the stuff you need... My 2 cents....

why do u need 6 inches for your 33's?

alot of people on here run 35's with just 4.5" of lift

If i was you i would sugest getting a 3.5" or 4.5" re kit from rec rock 4x4 as they include shocks

Btw, Anything without drop brackets thats over 4.5" will have horrible on road handling from what ive heard.

You get what you pay for.

I would ONLY run an RE lift if I had to buy a new lift (or a hybrid of mostly RE parts of my choosing).

If for some reason RE stopped selling suspension, I'd probably cobble my own together.

I will never run Rusty's. Not only have the parts that I have personally seen not been what I would call quality, but the service I have seen was not spectacular.

I installed a RC lift once. I was not impressed by the ride but it was complete. The only reason I would give them consideration is the support they haven given here - but again, you get what you pay for.

If the RE 5.5" lift seems like too much money, don't lift that high. :) The inital cost of the lift seems high now, but two years down the road you will look back and see that was just a roadsign for the spending to come and not the big expense.

I run a rustys 4.5 inch kit with 33's and I have had only one problem with the kit, the trac bar. The one I got has a tie rod type end to it which bends and snaps very easily.

It was said above and ill say it again, 6 inches on short arms will not ride well, if you end up with the rustys kit grab a set of drop brakets from RE and throw them on.

The leaves I have work fine, their are the full pack and are very sturdy but you will not get much flex outta a stock shackle and a 6 inch leaf.

So in summary (sorry for the length) buy the rustys 4.5 inch kit (get adjustable arms), new brake lines (you can use yj brake lines) and get a 1.75 inch shackle spacer lift to add to that lift or maybe just a 1 inch and some drop brackets and you will be happy.

-Alex

Edit: I forgot about the trac bar, pick up either rubicon express part 1660 or a trac bar from another manufacter (JCR, JKS, etc...)

I bought a Rusty's 4.5" kit and have almost completely replaced it with Rubicon Express parts. Rustys parts are just cheap and can't handle the stress of seriouse wheeling. Save youself some money in the long run and spend a little more up front, you'll be happy you did.

Vancity-XJ said:
looked at RE 5.5" short arm $1500

You can get the RE5.5 Extreme Duty Long Arm kit for that much :wave1:

I have the rustys 6.5. It has been good for me for the past 3yrs. I have run it at speed in the washes and crawled it. The arms have held up well a the sag in the rear was corrected with shakles. I also go over it after each run. I thingk the lifts are good(r.e., rustys) just a matter of what you like.

pierceME311 said:
I bought a Rusty's 4.5" kit and have almost completely replaced it with Rubicon Express parts. Rustys parts are just cheap and can't handle the stress of seriouse wheeling. Save youself some money in the long run and spend a little more up front, you'll be happy you did.

haha, hey, me too! My coils are the only thing left, and are actually good.

RE

gorp said:
I have the rustys 6.5. It has been good for me for the past 3yrs. I have run it at speed in the washes and crawled it. The arms have held up well a the sag in the rear was corrected with shakles. I also go over it after each run. I thingk the lifts are good(r.e., rustys) just a matter of what you like.

I ran a complete Rusty's kit for about that long, maybe longer. But everything slowly broke somehow, and replaced it with RE.

It's a matter of if you like stronger parts or not. If you don't like stronger parts, then, I guess it IS a matter of what you like.

Bottom line here is you get what you pay for!! I spent a fair amount of money on my BDS longarm setup and I can say it is TOP quality!! Not to mention if I break something BDS replaces it for free!! As far as Rustys goes his stuff is pretty good, too many people bash Rustys because he HAD a bad Trackbar design. If you go cheap starting off then you will just end up replacing many things and spending the money anyways! My 2cents.NAXJA

ColoradoRaptor said:
As far as Rustys goes his stuff is pretty good, too many people bash Rustys because he HAD a bad Trackbar design.

Most of the people that I know bash rusty's because their orders arrived incomplete and it took a half dozen phone calls and 2 weeks just to get an acknowledgement. :)

cal said:
Most of the people that I know bash rusty's because their orders arrived incomplete and it took a half dozen phone calls and 2 weeks just to get an acknowledgement. :)

Yes, I have heard that too. And yes that would irritate me. I have done business with Rustys and have had very good experiences with him. I think all the bashing has gotten back to Rusty and for the most part things there have changed a bit. Who knows though.:NAXJA:

All my stuff came just fine. It's just that it didn't hold up, and RE was just better for the stuff that did. I think the trac bar design has gotten a little better, but it doesn't touch the quality and strength of RE's design.

I still dont kno he wants to run six inches for just 33's

He should really run a 4.5" kit from re for the same price as the 6.5" rustys kit

and he will get shocks as well as free shipping from red rock 4x4

mikedashg said:
All my stuff came just fine. It's just that it didn't hold up, and RE was just better for the stuff that did. I think the trac bar design has gotten a little better, but it doesn't touch the quality and strength of RE's design.

RE is a better product, cannot argue that one.....:cool:

I vote for BDS, works great, good product.

Back