• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Short Arms and Drop Brackets Vs. Rk 3 link?

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have some money available now thanks to Christmas and I am looking to improve my ride. I am currently about 6" on the short arms from my RE 4.5" superflex kit. I am looking into drop brackets and braces or possibly the 3 link from RK. With the drop brackets I'd be running the fixed arms that came with my kit (same arms as the 5.5" hd kit) I have read many threads on both and now want to hear from you guys. Which would be the better on road ride? I think both would be a great improvement however I am unsure which would be better. My jeep is my dd and mainly sees road but I wheel it as much as possible. Any opinions are appreciated.

The most I could squeeze out now is about $600. I would go with the TNT y-link setup if I could afford it. I have heard of the 3rd link on the RK kit ripping off and thats a little unsettling to me.

the rk three link is great. there is no way you will rip the third link off. ive been running this since april and its great. if you break the arms or brackets rk will replace them...but i dont think thats an issue. arms are made from solid steel and the brackets are quarter inch. with all grade 8 hardware. call dc4wd for a price quote. should be well under your squeeze of $600.

Thats the site Im going through for whatever I decide to do. What kind of end links does the kit use? I currently have the RE superflex links. How do the RK end links compare? And hows the on road manners of a 3 link?

I have the RK 3 link kit, and have wheeled the shit out of it for the last 6 or so months in mainly big rocks. All components have held up well. I actually just pulled the arms off today to disassemble the joints to check for wear, and everything looks great. The Krawler joints have held up fine.
It really does articulate extreamly well, very smooth, im running 12" shocks but could run 14's if i really wanted too.
The arms work well sliding off rocks & for sure have better clearance than drop brackets. The brackets so far are super solid, they have taken some decent hits and beside some rock rash are straight & true.
I dont DD my rig but i do drive to trails & on the FWY it seems just as good as when i had 4 link short arms. (as good as a lifted,35" tires,no swaybared XJ drives).
Honestly i think value for money, its a great kit. JMO.

If you do get it, make sure you disassemble all the joints & grease them before you intall the arms. Mine were basically dry when new.

MG2000XJ said:
I have also heard something about the zerks being smaller than normal and breaking?

Yep they are small & yep they break..... well actually they are in a position where they are vulnerable to rock damage. Put them in, grease the joint & take them out. Fit a block off bolt in their place.

Starboard M said:
Rustys and quality do not belong is the same sentence.

I personally witnessed a Rusty's long arm eye mount on the frame side tear open & drop the arm. Looks fairly cheesey IMO. It was just wheeling a trail in Big Bear too..... nothing to tough.

I dont have any up close really... here it is in action....

IMG_3422.jpg

you can see the arms in this shot...... sorry thats the best i got.

PIC-0124.jpg

yup, the zircs are the only issue ive had. i drilled and tapped for a larger standard size available at any parts store. the lower arms have a rebuildable krawler joint on one end and rubber bushing on the other. the upper arm,which is on the drivers side, has krawler joints on one end. the stock bushing for drivers side upper on the axle is removed and turned into a rebuildable krawler joint aswell. other than some rock rash, ive had nothing bend or break. still dont think thats possible

I ran the kit for over 4 years and loved every bit of it! It was an awesome lift. My XJ was one of thier test bunnies and went through a lot of changes before it was perfect.

PM me for some price info.

I was pretty iffy about the RK kit until I saw mattyj run it - now I'm giving it a second thought. ;)

Currently, I run drop brackets, and I would not hesitate to run them on any rig every. Very beefy, easy on the pocketbook, good on the road, and re-uses alot of the hardware you already have (fixed arms, etc).

I've hit them on the rocks but I've never been hung up on one, nor seen anyone else hang on them - not that I've ever been on a hard trail. :)

looks like its going to be the Rk long arms, I will eventually go to long arms anyway after the db's so Ill just skip that step. Does the Rk kit have crush sleeves? How do the brackets mount? I would like to see a picture or install instructions.

I current have REs 5.5 lift with the DBs. I have wanted to go with the RK kit but have hard a hard time convincing myself to do as I have very little problems with the DBs. The only time they have really hit the ground hard enough to stop motion was when I was F'ing off and doing an Obstacle in reverse, more throttle cured the problem just fine lol. They are tough for sure.

Back