• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Damage?

dynasty_v6

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I have a 1994 Cherokee 4X4 with 31" tires and a 3" Rough Country lift. About 2 weeks ago I hit a patch of ice on an off ramp was was not able to stop before hitting a curb. I estimate i hit it around 5-7 mph as I turned the wheel roughly perpendicular to the curb in an effort to save the rim and tire.

After this, I get a vibration over 35 mph when in 4wd. It's worse when I'm in the gas and less when I let off. This morning I put the transfer case in 4 full-time, pulled the ebrake and jacked up only the left front tire. It vibrates while spinning but appears true. Next I removed the wheel and it lessened but still persisted. It gets worse when I turn the steering towards it's limits.

So did I mess of one or both of the ball joints? Could the deflection of the ball joints damaged the axle bearings or u-joint?

Sorry if this is a newbie question and any guidence would be greatly appreciated.

I can't honestly give you an answer, when it has happened to me the worst I've ended up with is a bent steel rim or a broken aluminum rim.

I really don't think the axle or the u-joint is the problem.
You can make your own out of round tester as easy as a brick a piece of tape and a pencil. Jack the tire up off of the ground and use your home made pointer to see if the rim is bent. A little is OK.

did you check the control arms?

stock uppers bend easy.

dynasty_v6 said:
If one those was bent how would that cause vibration?

wheels do weird things when the axle is in there diagonally.

Back