• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$35 Roof top tent? Why not?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Just thinking out loud here.

Why do people spend hundreds of dollars on those RTT systems when all its really just a platform with a tent on it. Can't I just use 4 luggage rack cross members and use U-bolts to mount a sheet of sealed plywood to it and mount a 2 person tent to it at the camp site?

Like the tent shown.

Am I missing something?

mthw_skypoint2cf_tent_06.jpg

Yeah,theirs breaks down,folds up,and self-stores!

No reason at all that you couldn't do that but it certainly wouldn't be as nice as some of those roof top tents are. You could even incorporate a folding ladder into the mix to make it easier to climb up and down from there. Beware though, that 1st step is a doozy after a night of partying around the camp fire and trying to climb in and out.

those rooftop tents have more than just a tent in the enclosure. they have a matress and most will close up with a sleeping bag or two laid inside too. 1 to 5 minute setup at camp.

just a flat platform might as well be the ground.

jeepster09 said:
Biggest thing would amount of weight camping on the roof, I would think it would bow in......I wouldn't do it.:doh: :wow:

I had 2 gutter mounted cross bars and the stock bars, and hauled 6 4"x6"x10' and 10 4"x4"x8' treated lumber on mine without an issue. It also had 25 bags of red wood chips in the back. It rode nice and smooth.

I have hauled all sorts of steel and wood on top of my XJ. I never had a problem. I'm sure I have hauled about 1000# on it at once.
I never did feel safe hauling that much weight thou.

If it is used with gutter mount cross bars for added support and properly mounted it would work fine.

I used 4 luggage crossbars and 1/2 inch electrical conduit. It works good for my Thule cargo bag. Sometimes carry lumber and its much stronger. I may put a front and back piece on it ???????????? It may give you a few ideas for what your trying to do. Conduit is cheap. Flat black paint at Home D is $1.00 a can It was a bit of a drop for the wife to get out! Alpine trail, near Tin Cup Colorado

IMG_0258.jpg

To carry a heavy load the weight should be supported by the gutters. It is way safer then depending on plastic/aluiminum stock roof bars. They aren't meant for heavy loads.

TNT said:
To carry a heavy load the weight should be supported by the gutters. It is way safer then depending on plastic/aluiminum stock roof bars. They aren't meant for heavy loads.

i have seen two set of gutters rip off in 2007 alone. as far as i can tell they are just glued on?

cal said:
i have seen two set of gutters rip off in 2007 alone. as far as i can tell they are just glued on?

Under the gutter trim is steel that is meant to support weight. Gutter trim gets ripped of all the time it's whats underneath that counts.

TNT said:
Under the gutter trim is steel that is meant to support weight. Gutter trim gets ripped of all the time it's whats underneath that counts.

I'm talking about the steel. I'll see if i can find pics later.

Plays For Jeeps said:
^I know what you mean. They seem to be torn from the sides of the jeep by trees easily but I have yet to see them shear from weight being applied vertically on them.

Only the trim gets ripped off. The only thing I have seen happen to the gutter is it get dented when you roll or slammed very hard against tree. I have slammed mine into trees hard without denting it. The trim came off thou.

If you tore the gutter off it would take the roof and the top of the door jam with it... It is where the roof gets welded on.

My guttter trim is held on my zip-ties.

To be honest I don't know how they lasted so long. When I landed on my side that had to be beaten up with a BFH and a 2x4...they didn't break though untill I scrapped the entire side down a fence.

I've been thinking about doing this. I think my NF Rock 22 tent would be perfect for it, and it can't take much more than 5 minutes to set up. If you put a foam pad on the platform it would add to the comfort level. If you're anywhere that's wet or rocky it'd be much better than the ground. I'm still trying to work out a simple leveling method.

Last edited:
TNT said:
I had 2 gutter mounted cross bars and the stock bars, and hauled 6 4"x6"x10' and 10 4"x4"x8' treated lumber on mine without an issue. It also had 25 bags of red wood chips in the back. It rode nice and smooth.

I have hauled all sorts of steel and wood on top of my XJ. I never had a problem. I'm sure I have hauled about 1000# on it at once.
I never did feel safe hauling that much weight thou.

If it is used with gutter mount cross bars for added support and properly mounted it would work fine.

Does your lumber and steel roll around in the night.....lol:doh:

jeepster09 said:
Does your lumber and steel roll around in the night.....lol:doh:

No but I did have 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood strapped down that I used as a work platform. I go about 275# and it was no big deal.;)

Back