• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What seals and gaskets to replace?

Tyquan

NAXJA Forum User
Hey and merry christmas to all! I plan on replacing my 4.0 in my 99sport with another one with less miles. My question is what gaskets and seals would be a good idea to replace while the old motor is out? Main seal ect....
Also this is my first engine swap, so if you have any other tips or tricks that would make the process faster and easier I would like to hear them to, thanks!

Last edited:
Quick list - front main, rear main, oil sump, timing cover, and valve cover. Especially if the engine has been sitting for a while - these gaskets tend to dry out and shrink, which causes leaks.

Even if it's the early engine, use a 1996-up oil sump gasket - it's one-piece moulded rubber, which makes it far easier to handle! (OK - it's apparently not. Probably useful advice for others, tho...)

While you're getting the other goodies, pick up a set of SB Chevvy valve cover studs (for cast covers, they're a bit longer.) Install four in the oil sump rails, and four in the valve cover holes - widely spaced. They'll help you keep things under control while you're putting it all back together.

Get new engine mounts - you're going to have them exposed anyhow.

Tag all electrical and vacuum connections before you disconnect them.

Use LocTite #242 on the screws for the flywheel/flexplate to crankshaft, and for the torque converter/clutch to flexplate/flywheel. If you've got a manual, it's a good idea to replace the pilot bushing while you've got it out - even if the clutch is in good shape. The pilot bushing/bearing isn't always changed as part of the job, and a worn bushing/bearing there can cause all sorts of trouble. May want to change the throwout bearing while you're about it - cheap insurance (and you'll kick yourself if it needs to be done in a few months...)

That's all I can think of offhand.

Back