• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 Jeep wont start: HELP

HMGanja

NAXJA Forum User
Just randomly wont start. It just started this yesterday. The only thing ive noticed change was when i lock my doors with the keyless entry, it no longer blows the horn... What gives. The jeep will turn over fine but has no fire. And I hear no fuel pump. The other weird thing is my gas and amp meter are not working when the key is on. But I can see my oil pressure move just a bit and the temp gauge moves just a little too. ANY ideas??:smsoap:

Well it dosent matter anyway. It dosnt come on. (just checked it about 10 times) So can I do anything about the connections if they are bad?

HMGanja said:
Does anyone think this could be the CPS? I have read that it wont show a check engine light...

Sometimes they do and sometimes they dont....really all depends on how it actually goes bad. Some people have theirs just die going down the road, and others will park it one night, and go to start the next morning and it's dead. When you turn the ignition on, after about 15 seconds or so, does the odometer read "no bus"? That seems to be a fairly common clue when determining if its the CPS or not.

In addition, I've heard of many being able to unplug and replug the connector for the CPS a couple of tmes and get the Jeep to run for a while. You might try this also.

However with two gauges not reading, and the horn not chirping anymore when locked, I have to wonder if you have a loose/dirty ground somewhere. I would go through the engine compartment and verify that all grounds are tight, and if they look dirty, take them off and clean them.

Out of curiosity, where abouts in NC are you?

There's something called an ASR relay that's located in the fuse box under the hood. Mine got flakely and caused the same kind of issues. You can check it by swapping the fog light or fan relay into the ASR spot (they are all the same type of relay). If the vehicle starts with the swapped relay, then that's your answer!!!! Good luck!! :wave:

I had the same problem on my 99, turns out it was the "Idle Control Module", the dealer replaced it 4 years ago and I have had no problems since.

As for your locking the doors and not hearing the horn. I believe that you need to turn the ignition to on, the one before start, and hold the lock button. I am not sure though, I will check my manual, I just need to find it........it's somewhere............

let us know what happens

Thanks guys. I have just now been able to get online. I will try these ideas and get back to ya. Thanks a lot guys!

Does the odometer show "no buss" with the key on? Does the tach read RPM when cranking? So you don't hear the fuel pump run (have you checked for pressure at the rail?) when you turn the key on. Unplug the crank sensor (rear of intake mainfold) and then cycle the key back on to see if the fuel pump then comes on for a few seconds.

The odometer does not read "no buss". And the pump does not prime/run when the key is on. The tach does nothing. I unplugged the crank sensor you mentioned and not only did the fuel pump prime I got my gauges back too! So what does this mean?

PCM. Borrow someone elses to make sure, but my brothers 97 tj did the same thing. check the spark, there will be none as well.

These were his symptoms.

no analog gauges or check engine light when i try to start. the brake, check gauges, seatbelt and airbag lights flash. fuel comes out of the schrader valve on the fuel rail. no tach while cranking. the oil pressure gauge moves slightly.

Last edited:
HMGanja said:
The odometer does not read "no buss". And the pump does not prime/run when the key is on. The tach does nothing. I unplugged the crank sensor you mentioned and not only did the fuel pump prime I got my gauges back too! So what does this mean?

Bad CPS. Yours may have not shown the "no buss" message but it's the CPS for sure.

Last edited:
toast said:
PCM. Borrow someone elses to make sure, but my brothers 97 tj did the same thing. check the spark, there will be none as well.

These were his symptoms.

no analog gauges or check engine light when i try to start. the brake, check gauges, seatbelt and airbag lights flash. fuel comes out of the schrader valve on the fuel rail. no tach while cranking. the oil pressure gauge moves slightly.

First on any 96-up XJ or 97-06 TJ if the CPS shorts out internally it will pull the PCM down thereby making the gauges not work, you can't talk to the PCM with a scan tool, and most importantly the fuel pump will not turn on for a few seconds when the key is just turned on to prime the fuel rail.

Special note. Do not just swap engine controllers without knowing one very important thing. You can not swap if one has the factory SKIM (sentry key) or VTSS )theft alarm) and the other does not. As long as both part #'s are the same and both equipped the same (with ot without alarm/sentry key) then it should be safe to test by swapping.

Back