• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd Questions

winchster

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm new and I've got a couple of questions. I am about to begin the process of changing my '94 2wd to a 4wd. I'm know a lot of you will tell me this is ridiculous but I'm capable and I'm pretty sure it won't be too hard. My goal is to build a reliable, solid 4wd that will never go rock crawling, but might have to dig me out of hip deep clay.
My questions are these:
I'm new to 4wd and I'm concerned about the "strength" questions on the stock D30. Since I'm starting from scratch anything I need to "upgrade"? My wheelin will be work related not play related and I don't ever plan on rock crawling. Also, can I use the pieces from any year or do I need to stay away from something.
Next, transfer cases, stock or upgrade? Any advice given will be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, the newb.

P.S. If it helps, I intend to run 31's and a 3 or 3.5 lift

Last edited:
Since I can't seem to edit this post, I'll reply to my own. Does this post need to be moved to another forum or am I in the right place?

Need more info....what eng/trans?
No problem with the D30.

Well your going to need a 4WD trans,for a tranfer case Id just go with a 231!

You can find everything you'll need from a local pick a part. You may want to consider an NP242 because it has the full time 4wd(street) and part time 4wd(off-road) option, this transfer case will give you more versatility because you can't drive in 4hi on the street with an NP231. You want to stay away from the vacume disconnect D30 axles and get a newer d30 with the larger 297x u-joints. The stock gear oprions are 3.07, 3.54, 3.73, 4.10 &4.56. While your at it you may want to pick up a 97+ chrysler 8.25" 29 spline axle for added strength. For more information the SEARCH feature will yeild you great results. Good luck with the swap and start scouring your junk yards and try www.car-part.com

The disconnect Dana 30 was usually found on the part-time 'Command-Trac' equipped XJ's from 1984-1991. The 'Selec-Trac' equipped XJ's had non-disconnect Dana 30's, and from 1992 on Jeep only put non-disconnect D30's in the XJ's.

ABS-equipped XJ's came with the larger (Dana 44 sized) 297 u-joints (which are the same size as 760 u-joints). In 1995 ALL Dana 30's came with 297 u-joints.

Avoid 2000 & 2001 Dana 30's from XJ's because you might get the less-desirable 'Low-Pinion' Dana 30; it's a little weaker in the ring & pinion department, and the earlier axles are more plentiful.

:)

For just the conversion, you need a new tranny, transfer case, new drive shafts, and a shifter for your transfer case, and a new front axle. It should take you about one full day with a little help to make the conversion, it's pretty straight forward. Make sure whatever transfer case you get, you match the drive shafts to that and your tranny. Plan on changing out all your u-joints and fluids while you're at it.

No probs!

Oh, and z2 on the driveshafts matching the t-case. The fronts seem to be the same length, but the rear shaft is different. (The 242 case is longer, so the rear shaft is shorter.)

XJPhoenix said:
No probs!

Oh, and z2 on the driveshafts matching the t-case. The fronts seem to be the same length, but the rear shaft is different. (The 242 case is longer, so the rear shaft is shorter.)

The fronts are different also. I have a manual and an auto drive shaft and the lengths are not the same.

I've actually seen 3 different lengths when cruising the junkyard and it didn't seem to correspond with what tranny/engine/year very well. With a 3 or 3.5" lift, you might want a longer rear DS.

Back