• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dual dana 20s

does anybody make a doubler for a dana20? also a dana 20 won't bolt up to an aw4 and i've never seen an adapter to do so either. perhaps you're thinking of a dana 300

imjust looking into a good transfer case setup should i go doubles ive been told the transfer case in 93s is junk i have some 1 tons suspension parts and a cage half done but i dont know which direction to go in any ideas maybe just a dana 300 alone.also which case comes in the 93.

xmanche said:
imjust looking into a good transfer case setup should i go doubles ive been told the transfer case in 93s is junk i have some 1 tons suspension parts and a cage half done but i dont know which direction to go in any ideas maybe just a dana 300 alone.also which case comes in the 93.

its either a NP231 or an NP242. Do you have Full Time 4wd or just part time?

using that your driveshaft will not be the same length. the black box is simply a range box that goes betweeen your tranny and t-case. however i wouldn't run a 231 behind it. carnage will follow. and at $1600 there are cheaper ways to get a doubler. i'd suggest finding a dana 300 and getting a box4rocks doubler kit. the kit is $400 dana 300 $200 or so then you'll need a flip kit for the dana 300 ~$180. so for 800 bucks you'll have a doubler for half the cost of the black box. and you'll still have to fab up a crossmember and mounts for it all and cut the floor to clear the 300 and lengthen the front driveshaft and shorten the rear. there are several options out there. just depends on what you want and how much you are willing to spend. another option would be to use a dana 300 in place of your t-case and get a 4-1 gear set for it. you'll still need a flip kit for it and a 7/8" thick clocking ring. unless you plan on running a front axle that has the diff on the passenger side. then you wouldn't need the flip kit.

thanksfor the helps guys i searched and searched and found lots of stuff i dont know why none does theres like more info then you can shake a broken d3o shaft at.anyone have experience with the black box,service wise,trail use.

redneck23ms said:
using that your driveshaft will not be the same length. the black box is simply a range box that goes betweeen your tranny and t-case. however i wouldn't run a 231 behind it. carnage will follow. and at $1600 there are cheaper ways to get a doubler. i'd suggest finding a dana 300 and getting a box4rocks doubler kit. the kit is $400 dana 300 $200 or so then you'll need a flip kit for the dana 300 ~$180. so for 800 bucks you'll have a doubler for half the cost of the black box. and you'll still have to fab up a crossmember and mounts for it all and cut the floor to clear the 300 and lengthen the front driveshaft and shorten the rear. there are several options out there. just depends on what you want and how much you are willing to spend. another option would be to use a dana 300 in place of your t-case and get a 4-1 gear set for it. you'll still need a flip kit for it and a 7/8" thick clocking ring. unless you plan on running a front axle that has the diff on the passenger side. then you wouldn't need the flip kit.

so yur saying id need a dana 300 behind my 231 or 2 dana 300

with the box4rocks kit you use the front half of a 231. and cut off part of the case where the front output goes. then the doubler plate. then another 231 ( i wouldn't suggest it though) or a dana 300 would bolt to the plate. or you could not mess with a dobler and just install a single dana 300 with a 4-1 low gear set.

He makes those black range boxes in any spline count and can make them to bolt up to a dana 300 clocked to either side and a dana 20 as well.

redneck23ms said:
you can get the 4-1 gear set for the 231 but its like $1100 4-1 for the dana 300 is around $600

$850 to your door for a tera 4:1, and you can find it cheaper on sale.

Just curiosity, but what is the intended use of the rig? I use my XJ (NP-231, 2.62 low range, automatic) for trail-running. I've never needed lower gearing. 'Had my CJ (Dana-20 2.02 low range, 3spd 3:1 1st) and it needed a lower first to crawl around comfortably. A lot of people like the 4:1 low for rocks, but the rest of the time, they want something taller.

If it's a rock rig, consider the 241OR('Rubicon t-case) 'Probably the easiest/cheapest way to a 4:1 low, but you won't have the split low range option(and will weigh 150 Lb less!)

because thats an aweful lot of torque for a chain driven aluminum t-case. in double low you have 2.62x2.62=6.86 times the torque that is on the tranny output shaft. and it will cause bad things to happen. that is why most people put a dana 300 at the back of the doubler. the dana 300 is a cast iron gear driven case and can withstand alot more torque. plus you get twin sticks with a flipped dana 300.

Back