• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D 30 axle upgrade?

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a new Detriot locker for my 89 - D30 front. Before I install this I will change out seals & bearings because I will have all aprt anyway. Axle shafts, use the ones in it (never wheeled before) or upgrade to either OEM or chromollys??? I dont wheel it real hard but I figure if im going to take the time to pull it all apart I will do it right. What do you think???

Kenny

Superior axles would be my choice. If your budget is tight like mine ,the axles with the larger oem u-joint is a good choice. Iam currently trying the zj cv axle shafts .

Most alloy upgrades aren't cheap, unless you find a smokin' deal somewhere. $500 give or take for Alloy USA units, so I wouldn't really consider it a 'while I was in there' mod.. ;)
It will depend on the build you're planning and the trails you will run. The D30 is tough, but if you're looking to go crazy, then plan accordingly. Mine(Alloy USA) has held up to 35's with an ARB, 4.56 gears and a 4:1 case. I have run some JV trails and many others for a few years without a problem, but I keep in mind what's up front.

I just upgraded to Alloy USA shafts a couple of days. But I did get a smokin' deal, so it was a no-brainer.

Kenny, you probably have front shafts with the small 260 u-joints. I would at least upgrade to shafts with 297/760 u-joints.

Back