• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

normal operating temps

projectTK

NAXJA Forum User
Well since my stock temp gauge is inaccurate i bought a sunpro temp gauge wired her up and it runs fine. Sometimes when i park it after a run or even at the gas station the coolant bottle cooks and leaks out the cap. The temp hit 200degree. Is that just because it is to hot or what? what is the normal operating temp?

4.0 89xj

normal is 210 i believe...hows your af/water mix? is it 50/50?

yeah im pretty sure i put 50/50. Maybe ill drain it out and put 50/50 in again. u think i might have to much straight coolant in there. I have new thermostat. new rad and new heater core. So i dont know what the deal is. So ur saying try flushing it out and putting new coolant in 50/50 again or what?

projectTK said:
Well since my stock temp gauge is inaccurate i bought a sunpro temp gauge wired her up and it runs fine. Sometimes when i park it after a run or even at the gas station the coolant bottle cooks and leaks out the cap. The temp hit 200degree. Is that just because it is to hot or what? what is the normal operating temp?

4.0 89xj

Are you saying that the cap leaks-or the coolant is comming out the overflow.IIRC there is no overflow on the closed system,bottle should not be filled above the "post" molded into the tank.

Caps are known to go bad,maybe time for a replacement.

Wayne

actually i did fill it up to the top. To much coolant in the overflow bottle created to much pressure then then it leaked out of the cap. I have a closed rad and the only way to fill coolant is threw the bottle that is in the top left of the engine bay. Maybe the cap is bad. anyother ideas?

Did you burp the system??

I chased cooling problem for a long time until the guru's on here helped me out. Once I burped it, my problems went away. 1990 w/ closed system.

Ok... this sounds funny to me... so let me ask a ? or two to see group opinion...

1. Read reviews for sunpro guages... I have read here and there that they are "junk" and some don't work out of the box... anyone else have an expirience?

2. if there is an overflow bottle it should not leak out the radiator cap... unless... you have the wrong cap. Don't these have ratings for temp and pressure?

I usually get flamed for bad ideas... but I'll keep asking anyway...

-MJ

You need to burp your rad, could have a bubble in it.. Only fill up 1/4 too 1/2 way, i like doing at the 1/4... If it still leaks under pressure your cap is bad.. My 89 runs around 200 to 210... I live in the low desert

i let it cook the rest of the coolant out of the bottle filled it half up and put a cap on from another coolant botlle i had laying around and i toke it around the block with the electric fan off (only have an electric fan and no manual fan at the moment) and it hit 190 and driving it cools to 160 degrees. I didnt have to use a fan it all to cool it. Plus im in 20 degree weather.

Back