• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky Radiator

dlarrivee said:
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/5363/radleakdy9.jpg

Does this look like it would be repairable by a radiator shop? Or am I looking for a new rad here?

Easiest (and probably cheaper) to replace the thing outright. Repair would involve brazing or soldering the leak shut - since you've got crimped-on plastic tanks, the tank would have to be removed, the leak brazed, a new gasket installed, and the tank crimped back on (at least, I think they use gaskets on there. I'm not sure at the moment...)

Get an all-metal replacement. Nice thing about those? I've been able to braze leaks in place - drain the radiator, remove the upper hose, braze the leak shut, and reattach hose and refill. Problem solved. (Of course, it depends on where the leak actually is. If it's inaccessible, you'll need to remove the radiator to braze it - which is also doable.)

dlarrivee said:
The plastic reservoirs on either end seem rather "cheap" to me anyways.

Yeah, I don't like them either. They may be cheaper and somewhat easier to manufacture, but I'm all about reliability and repairability over cost savings. Go with all copper/brass, and you're good.

NAPA # NR3343. pricey, but worth it. make sure they get the right number. this is the heavy duty one. the light duty(standard) part number is NR3433. pretty easy to mix up.

Back