• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

downshift aw4

jeep ride

NAXJA Forum User
just got this jeep 98 xj 4.0 L auto trans when trying to manul downshift from 4th to 3rd gear have to lightly touch brake pedal to shift gears are they all like this?

Touching the brake causes the torque converter to unlock and the rpms to come up some, it's not actually downshifting to third. Are you saying it doesn't downshift when you hit the gas (probably bad TPS sensor), or is it not downshifting when you put the shifter in (3)?

igear selector in 4th i cant shift to any lower gears without touching brake pedal

it downshlfts fine when I hit the gas problem is if I want to manually shift from 4th to 3rd gear shlfter wont move unless I use my left foot to apply light brake pressure

Oh, duh! I was thought you were talking about it not automatically downshifting, not being unable to move the shifter. Kinda the same way you need to hit the brake to shift out of park, right? That sounds like the shift interlock cable needs to be adjusted.

You can pry up the trim around the shifter and you should see two cables. I believe the one on the passenger/right side is the interlock and the other is the cable to the tranny. There is an adjuster on the cable towards the front tha may need adjusted. The piece that moves up to lock it into park may have a groove worn into it which needs filed out. Just have to pull the cover and see how it woks and whats hanging up.

Some info I found on this adjustment...
Shift transmission into PARK. Remove shift lever bezel and console screws.
Raise bezel and console for access to cable. Pull cable lock button up to release cable. (cable on passenger side...other cable is shift cable)
Turn ignition switch to LOCK position. Use a spacer to create a one millimeter gap
between the shifter pawl and top of the shift gate. Pull cable forward. Then release cable and press cable lock button down until it snaps in place.
Check adjustment as follows:
Check movement of release shift handle button. You should not be able to press button inward or move column lever.
Turn ignition switch to RUN position. Shifting out of park should not be possible.
Apply the brake and attempt to shift out of PARK. Shifting should be possible.
While the transmission is shifted out of PARK, release the brake and attempt to shift
through all gears. Release the shift button at least once during this procedure. The ignition key should not go to the LOCK position.
Return transmission to the PARK position without applying the brake.
Move shift lever back to PARK and check ignition switch operation. You should be able to turn switch to LOCK position and shift lever release button/lever should not move.

Back