• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Identifier? Im desperate for your help

korn9613

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1989 jeep cherokee, i bought it already done and ready for the trails. i cannot figureout what axles are in this thing. the one locally that could figure it out was an a hole so im coming to the net. from what we can find, the jeep has a ford dana 44 front end, with chevy knuckles. chevy because the bolt pattern is 6 on 5.5". i bought some early bronco axles and they were not correct. i have pics if you would like, but here is what i can tell about the axles:

the axle diameters look to be 1 5/16 diameter.
the driver side is 18.375" long
the passenger is 28" long, and they are both 30 spline.
they take a 215-260 u joint.

please help me if you can, also, i cannot find any stampings on the axle housing, i dont know if they are stamped where the control arms mount, but i dont see them anywhere.

Take a picture of it. One from the cover up close, the one of the whole thing.
Once you do that there is a plenty of threads here on axle stuff. If it is truely diffrent then someone will probably recognize it and let you know.
But there is a ton of info available to you once you have a good visual of it.

Here you go, this might help you out.

axles.jpg

are you sure its a dana 44 out of a ford and not a waggy or cherokee chief or j-truck. the later models of those were drivers drop and different widths and they were 6 lug. i believe the waggy's were 62.5" wms-wms and the chreokee chief/j-trucks were around 65" wms-wms

wms? we were originally thinking grand wagoneer, but a buddy of mine here is finding that those take different u joints. we thought wehad it nailed with the wagoneer but the joints are just not seeming to be the same, so thats why we thought ford. that and every ford guy around here recognizes that front end as ford. is there a way to take pics and post them here so you all can see them?

aother thing is i cannot find a stamped number anywhere. it is definetely dana 44, im positive of that. is there any way that the number is stamped underneath of where the control arms mount on the tube?

to all, thank you for your help, we figured out whats going on, in my first post i said that i bought early bronco axles and they didnt fit, well, thats because they were dana 30 axles, i need 44, so thats where this lengthy confusion has come from. all your info helped me get to that conclusion, thank you all very much, have a merry christmas!

Back