• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep died. ideas?

f-a-t-b-o-y

NAXJA Forum User
1993 4.0l aw4 231 177,xxx.

was drivin and it putted out on me. will not restart. i have spark. all cables/wires are good. fuses are good. fuel pump is good, i have fuel at rail. it doesn't spray out of rail but it's there. will crank, will not start. while cranking if you use the gas pedal it chokes itself out? was perfectly fine this morning.
i'm lost at this point.
any ideas will help. thanks.

are you sure the fuel pump is good? how much fuel pressure do you have? just because the fuel is there it doesent neccisarily mean its enough... an efi enging should have 40-50 psi.

FI will not run with only "fuel present." Often they won't run even run with sub standard spark. Just replaced my coil after my "real" mechanic explained to me that my HEI era knowledge needed some work.

XJ9888 said:
are you sure the fuel pump is good? how much fuel pressure do you have? just because the fuel is there it doesent neccisarily mean its enough... an efi enging should have 40-50 psi.

Try holding the gas peddle to the floor and crank it, if it is flooded that will tell the PCM (ECU) to turn off the fuel injectors. Once it fires let off the gas to avoid over reving the engine. Unless the OBD-I, HO motors use higher fuel pressure than the renix jeeps it is 39 psi with the vacuum line removed from the fuel poresure regulator and about 31 to 32 psi with the vacuum line attached to the fuel pressure regulator.

Does the 93 have a fuel pump ballast resistor? If so it may have gone bad, white block on drivers side up front on the fender wall with 4 wires attached.

i had a similar problem. ended up the the motor mount pulled free from the block and turned, pulling the distributor from the block.

Back