• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hatch Cover Rattle

Engine One Eight

NAXJA Forum User
I searched for this problem and came up with a lot of posts about adjusting the striker or latch. My rattle is coming from the plastic cover that is attatched to the back latch. Many of the OEM attatchements are broke so I have used wood screws through the plastic into the fiberglass. This is still not fixing all the rattles. Has anyone tried gluing the plastic to the fiberglass? Any better ideas? Any more frustration with this and I'm gonna run some bolts through the from inside the plastic to the outside of the hatch and cinch it down!

Thanks for the help

Engine One Eight
94 XJ 4door 182,000 and still ticking

Engine One Eight said:
I searched for this problem and came up with a lot of posts about adjusting the striker or latch. My rattle is coming from the plastic cover that is attatched to the back latch. Many of the OEM attatchements are broke so I have used wood screws through the plastic into the fiberglass. This is still not fixing all the rattles. Has anyone tried gluing the plastic to the fiberglass? Any better ideas? Any more frustration with this and I'm gonna run some bolts through the from inside the plastic to the outside of the hatch and cinch it down!

Thanks for the help

Engine One Eight
94 XJ 4door 182,000 and still ticking

Try useing sheetrock screw plugs...those nylon pieces that you push in for pictures on your wall...they work great...

Drill the holes through the plastic a little large and the holes through the fiberglass a little smaller, use sheet metal screws. Don't over tighten, a little dab of RTV (silicon) on the screw can also help some.
Most of my problem (rattle) was along the bottom.

check the top of the cover just below the window. There is a black plastic thing that goes along the whole length. The cover hooks around over the top of it. The plastic nubs that that holds it the hatch break. That is where mine rattled I could not find until I crawled in the back with the hatch closed and started tapping it. I took the cover off and used screws to screw it back on.

Back