• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 woes.

razdrvr

NAXJA Forum User
Everything seems to work fine moving forward. When I engage reverse in either 2wd or fulltime i get a bad grinding noise and no movement. If I shift to parttime or low, reverse acts normally. Any input is greatly appreciated.
:gonnablow

if you have the 242 you dont have a commited 2wd, its would be 4hi and 4lo. With the 231 you have 2hi, 4hi and 4lo. try putting it in nuetral when shifting the t-case. Also your linkage may need to be adjusted. Any tcase drop?

I have the 242 and it does have 2wd, part time, full time, neutral, and 4 low. No havent done a tcase drop. Haven't changed anything recently, it started making a brief grinding noise for the last couple of days as reverse engaged then today, it is just a constant grind, unless i go to part time or low. This began after i pullled a friends montero out, in reverse.

Last edited:
xalexjx said:
if you have the 242 you dont have a commited 2wd, its would be 4hi and 4lo. With the 231 you have 2hi, 4hi and 4lo. try putting it in nuetral when shifting the t-case. Also your linkage may need to be adjusted. Any tcase drop?

242s' do have a dedicated 2wd position

radrvr You might want to check the linkage , I had a similar problem and all it took was a little adjustment to fix the problem. It may not be fully engaging and when you put it in reverse it grinds out because it's half cocked. Hopefully it's that simple.:peace:

are there any tricks to getting the adjustment set correctly?

Mine was a trial and error, adjust one way, oh too much, then the other, oh not enough, until I got it right I would however mark your shafts so that you know where everything was when you started. Plus it will give you an idea of how much you have changed the settings.

razdrvr said:
are there any tricks to getting the adjustment set correctly?

Best I can remember, jack it up and put it in 4Lo.
Loosen up the adjustment screw, position the handle 1/8" off the rear stop and tighten it.
Make sure that at the extreme FWD and AFT the handle doesn't hit the end of travel.
I had a 2WD blazer that had a similar problem it was the transmission (planetary gears if I remember correctly).

Back