• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on Camber?

gotmud

NAXJA Forum User
I finished installing my fine 4.5 ROUGH country yea yea I know. Anyways my Camber is way out to the negative. i went and adjusted my steering sleeve to straighten out my steering wheel but im not sure if that would cause it. I didnt notice the tires before doing that so im just wondering if i cranked it back would it fix my camber or is it just the job for a fine ailignment shop and this is common with the lift? :dunno: :geek:

Lifting won't affect camber. Caster will be changed, but you can't see a caster change by looking at it. Most likely, the toe is WAY off, causing the tires to not point the same direction. I don't know if the Rough Country lift comes with a trac bar, but at 4.5" it will need adjusted.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

For the benefit of others who find this searching.

gotmud said:
I finished installing my fine 4.5 ROUGH country yea yea I know. Anyways my Camber is way out to the negative. i went and adjusted my steering sleeve to straighten out my steering wheel but im not sure if that would cause it. I didnt notice the tires before doing that so im just wondering if i cranked it back would it fix my camber or is it just the job for a fine ailignment shop and this is common with the lift? :dunno: :geek:

You can't adjust camber. It's most likely an optical illusion.

Actually, I'll chime in with the first poster. When I first put on my 4.5 lift my camber was visible off...if I drove in reverse, the camber would change.

All it was is that my toe was off, so when I drove forward it kind of tweaked the tire on the rim, pushin the bottom of the tire in. When I'd reverse for a bit, it would force the base of the tire out. I think it was only the bottom part that was moving, but the optical illusion made it look like the caster was changing.

Cool im gonna slap some new rubber on it so i plan on getting an alignment done anyway but ill toke the slanted tires up to my slanted eyes. Thanks guys

mjdavis31 said:
it could be bad balljoints or blown wheel berings

If either was that bad, that you could visibly see the tire slanting, you'd think there would be some evidence like a bad bearing noise or a wobble.

Not likely.

sgtmack said:
Lifting won't affect camber. Caster will be changed, but you can't see a caster change by looking at it. Most likely, the toe is WAY off, causing the tires to not point the same direction. I don't know if the Rough Country lift comes with a trac bar, but at 4.5" it will need adjusted.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

For the benefit of others who find this searching.

Use this method for your alignment. It is really straight forward and easily done. No need to waste money at an alignment shop when the job can be done in the driveway.

I adjusted my camber with the NAPA offset ball joints; there not cheep and they come in different degrees so be sure to read the print out from the alignment shop and adjust accordingly.

When toe is way off, the tires will move together or apart at the bottom, creating the illusion of camber.

If you want your tires to last a long time and you don't wheel hard, get a shop alignment. It's much more accurate than a tape measure. If you wheel much, never mind.

Back