• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having trouble with shocks.

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
Time is here to lift this XJ. 2 XJ's ago, I had lifted that one, and had Rusty's HD shocks. never again.

Looking to spend some coin for shocks that aren't rock solid. I've found my choices to be the RE monotubes, or the bilstein 5100's. I've read all over the place that the RE shocks are made by Edelbrock....then theyre made by Bilstein...then RE...and it goes on. Anyone really know anything about these? I've also read that they're adjustable? But i've never seen anyone talking about it or anything, so I'm a little confused.

Also, does anyone know if the RE's are actually valved to be vehicle specific, or is that just crap too? I'm sitting on an RE lift, looking for shocks and tires, figured it would be best to go with RE's?

As for the 5100s, these looks a LOT like the RE monotubes. I can't find any info about them, and searching here just constantly brings up the 5150's.

Also I've read about the OME shocks, how can these compete with monotubes, when theyre not?

I'm sure this has been posted 5 million times already though...

I have the OMEs... I've had them for two years... I love em.

How much lift are you running? I'm going up 3.5" and trying to find some 285/75/16's(32.5"x11.5" depending on manufacturer) for mostly street use(until it's paid off and can afford another XJ to tow it, gotta keep it real)

Rather the RE Monotubes are made by Bilstein or Edlebrock, you couldn't go wrong with either three choices imo....

x2, go with OME Long Travel shocks....

Vanquish said:
Time is here to lift this XJ. 2 XJ's ago, I had lifted that one, and had Rusty's HD shocks. never again.

Looking to spend some coin for shocks that aren't rock solid. I've found my choices to be the RE monotubes, or the bilstein 5100's. I've read all over the place that the RE shocks are made by Edelbrock....then theyre made by Bilstein...then RE...and it goes on. Anyone really know anything about these? I've also read that they're adjustable? But i've never seen anyone talking about it or anything, so I'm a little confused.

Also, does anyone know if the RE's are actually valved to be vehicle specific, or is that just crap too? I'm sitting on an RE lift, looking for shocks and tires, figured it would be best to go with RE's?

As for the 5100s, these looks a LOT like the RE monotubes. I can't find any info about them, and searching here just constantly brings up the 5150's.

Also I've read about the OME shocks, how can these compete with monotubes, when theyre not?

I'm sure this has been posted 5 million times already though...

I don't know who makes the RE monotube shocks, but it doesn't really matter. I seriously doubt they're made by Edelbrock, since Edelbrock has a different way they do the valving........but, I don't know. The RE shocks would be valved specifically for an XJ, so they should be a good choice on an XJ if you didn't have an idea of exactly what valving you wanted. Other than Edelbrock, all monotube shocks pretty much work the same the main difference being the valving and the nitrogen pressure.

The OME shocks can't compete with the monotubes, they just have good valving for a regular shock and folks that run them like them.........if they've never run anyhtng better.

So many people judge a shock's performance from only one parameter. In reality, high speed, low speed, bottoming out, stability, and ride are all things that can be worked on.

Back