• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have a couple questions about the RE 4.5 kit I'm installing

mtmetzger

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched for a while, but did not find definate answers about this stuff.

1- The centering pins for the new leaf packs are hitting the axle tube. These are RE full packs. The instructions say there might be a spacer build in for future use with shims. How do I get that out? I figured it was attached to the nut on top, but do I just remove the nut to get the spacer out? Will the springs separate if I remove it? If so, I assume I need to clamp them before removing the top nut.

2 - The front brake lines come with new mounting brackets and e-clips with self tapping screws for attachment to the frame at the hardline side. There were no instructions for where you need to locate the bracket and it seems that no matter how I position the line, it will constantly rub on the shock and could possibly loop under it or the shock mount on the axle during up travel then get ripped out on down travel. Any pictures showing how others have done this?

I'm trying to wrap up the installation this afternoon, so any input will br appreciated. Thanks!
-Matt

mtmetzger said:
1- The centering pins for the new leaf packs are hitting the axle tube. These are RE full packs. The instructions say there might be a spacer build in for future use with shims. How do I get that out? I figured it was attached to the nut on top, but do I just remove the nut to get the spacer out? Will the springs separate if I remove it? If so, I assume I need to clamp them before removing the top nut.-Matt
The spacer is under the head of the center pin bolt and yes you need to clamp the pack first.

Those e-clips are probably just a quick way of making their kit a "complete" bolt in kit. Make the consumer happy, when in reality it's not really the correct way to do it.

Buy some longer lines.

As it pertains to the leaf pack, what RCP said.....And I don't see a problem with his method of relocating the brake line. If you need to extend the line just pull your hard line down until its somewhat straight and attach the new bracket. This is common practice anymore, and as far as what to do with the line itself. I would just find a place to zip tie the line, so it's out of the way. It's as simple as that!
The C-Clips are simply replacements, and yes IS the correct way to do it..

No need to buy an additional set of brake lines so they're longer.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys. I just got done with the lift tonight. I ended up rotating the brake lines so they would clear the tires and any other moving parts. I just had to hold them where I wanted them before I locked them in place by tightening the hard line fitting into them. Then I secures them to the inner fender with the brackets and clips provided with the kit.

I also solved the center pin hitting the axle tube housing problem. I clamped the packs and removed the center pin to remove the spacer. There ended up not being a spacer installed at all, so I grinded the bottom of the pin down about 1/16". Once I got them back in, all was well.

I'll be adjusting the drag link in the morning to get my steering wheel centered back up, and try to get an alignment on Wednesday.

Back