• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding on the XJ lift

KI4KWF

NAXJA Forum User
OK Heres my deal:
01 XJ has a 3" Rusty's AAL lift on it, with the supplied Rusty's shocks and what will be a TC drop once I get it in. It's got 31x10.5 BFG AT's on stock Ecco's.
My plans are to add maybe another 1/2 or 1 inch by adding a spacer up front, and a block thing in the back, that goes between the axle and the leaves, not sure what its really called, but I've seen it done before and I like it. Also, I'd like to put my BFG's on some soft 8's, and maybe get a cargo rack or something cool like that.
So....bottom line question: what size would the block and spacer have to be to pick it up that 1/2 or 1" more? [ie: is it 1" tall spacer=1" of lift; or 1" spacer=1/2" lift? etc...]
:dunno:
btw, I'd rrrreaallllyyyy like to keep from doing a SYE deal, cause they look a little expensive to fool with.

ahhh...i just found some .75" shackles and spacers on rusty's.
that might work better than the blocks. generally speaking, does this usually lift it at equal measures? i dont want it further up in the rear, just equal.:thumbup:

to my knowledge, a two inch spacer will give you 1 inch of lift. As for your blocks, aka lifting blocks, a better solution, is longer shackles. the same rules apply to the shackles as does the spacers. dpo a search for better answers

From what I've read, shackles lift half of the added length. i.e. you get a 2" shackle, you get a 1" lift.

lol, chris..... nice timing... right before I say it!

norcalchris said:
to my knowledge, a two inch spacer will give you 1 inch of lift. As for your blocks, aka lifting blocks, a better solution, is longer shackles. the same rules apply to the shackles as does the spacers. dpo a search for better answers

To my knowledge.... a 2 inch spacer will give you 2 inches of lift... Durrr Durr Durrrr

Simple... think about it... just a spacer, not changing the spring rate...

Lift blocks are poo, but if its a must, 1" is all I'd go..

nominated

Shackles, yes... 2" over stock will give you 1" of lift because of the shackle angle

a coil spacer will lift your rig the amount that the spacer is rated at... i.e. 2" spacer = 2" lift. As for shackles you need to find out whether the size listed is the "lift height" or the shackles "extended lenth.... As for shackles... I have a RRO shackle that is rated at giving 1.5" of lift and I believe that it is 3" longer than stock. Most shackles are rated at the amount of lift that they will give.

and as for SYE... I wouldn't add any more lift to your '01 if you hope on not getting vibes. I had a 2000 on 3" flat and that had vibes which i cured with a TC drop, but as soon as I went higher, I needed an SYE.

you might get away with 0.75 inches. keyword: MIGHT.

If you are not doing any serious wheelin than 1 inch block and spacer probably won't be a big deal. Once you start really getting into wheelin it rough you could lose a block and than your screwed. It has always been my experience that if you build it cheap than it is probably cheap. So the point is you get what you pay for. But if your just cruisin it to the mall to look cool than do it you wont hurt anything there. Build it for what you are going to do with it. Also, I would imagine that 1 more inch will give you some vibes.

hmm...good stuff.
i guess i'll probably stay with my 3", because of the vibration issues. I'm not getting anything really noticable yet, but i havent put in the TC drop yet. I could stand to not even use the drop, but im sure it will make the joints last a little longer.
anybody have any pics of 3" with 31x10.5 on soft 8's or chrome wheels? :eyes:

....interesting about the blocks being crappy. i did a little searching and learned more. too bad my uncle has some blocks in his. he just thought he had a better XJ 'cause it sits a little higher and has mud terrains. and he wheels his harder than i do.:eek: i guess thats what you get for buying a lifted XJ. :nono:

Blocks aren't necessarily too bad of an idea. Yeah, they can shit out on ya, but I had some blocks from RRO and they were actually nice considering most of their shit is so-so. They're made of solid steel, and are really long so that you wont get any axle wrap. I'm not using them anymore so if you wanna buy them I'll sell them to ya (they're 1.5" lift).

Here are pics of my jeep when I had 3" and Cragar D-Windows w/ 31x10.5s
DCP_0074.jpg

DCP_0073.jpg

DCP_0072.jpg

DCP_0069.jpg

DCP_0070.jpg

Nice Excursion! I want one in Diesel......but, that's another story.

I'd do shackels over blocks. Spacers for coils are fine no problem.

Although blocks do vary. It is very well that ty's were good. But alot of blocks are crap.

If you get a good *steel* block, 1 or 1.5 inches will be fine. When you start going to a bigger block than that you can run into problems. I ran a 1" lift block under a set of 4.5" leafs with a 1.25" lift shackle for a very long time, it worked well.

A block will make your add-a-leaf sag faster, be forwarned.

I'd do a 1" spacer and find a 1" or 1.5" adjustable lift shackle. A quick search found this shackle - which is 1.5" and 2", giving you an example of what i mean.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-0...004QQitemZ140190817502QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

-Cal

cal said:
A block will make your add-a-leaf sag faster, be forwarned.

I'd do a 1" spacer and find a 1" or 1.5" adjustable lift shackle. A quick search found this shackle - which is 1.5" and 2", giving you an example of what i mean.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-01-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-Rear-2-Lift-Shackle-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42609QQihZ004QQitemZ140190817502QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

-Cal

X2, the shackle will also help with the ride and flex! A longer shackle allows more movement, therefore allowing the spring to do it's thing with less resistance. There is a reason most 4.5"+ lifts include a shackle. It also allows for a flatter spring, and the flatter the spring, the better it will flex.

A small block can be ok, as long as it's a good one, but I wouldn't go over 1".

ZacSquatch said:
Shackles, yes... 2" over stock will give you 1" of lift because of the shackle angle
Yes, the general rule is about 1" lift with a 2" longer shackle, but it's not because of the shackle angle. It's because your only dropping half of the spring. If you moved the front mount down 2" as well, you'd get 2" of lift.

Also to be technical, this formula isn't completely accurate. This is because your axle is not centered on the spring, it's closer to the front, so it's more like .85" or so of lift for a 2" longer shackle.

Last edited:
yeah, that excursion is a bucket. If it wasn't my dad's I'd give it to ya. The thing has 180,000 miles on it and sometimes i feel like wrapping it around a pole just so he'll go get a new Z71 or something.

more good stuff! :yelclap:NAXJA

anyways, i think i'll just keep the 3" because its more of a DD than trail rig. Anyone else got pics of 3" with cragars or chrome wheels?

KI4KWF said:
ahhh...i just found some .75" shackles and spacers on rusty's.
that might work better than the blocks. generally speaking, does this usually lift it at equal measures? i dont want it further up in the rear, just equal.:thumbup:

Now your thinkin!!:twak: Blocks are not only cheap but dangerous!! Save your money and do it right!! :peace:

ColoradoRaptor said:
Now your thinkin!!:twak: Blocks are not only cheap but dangerous!! Save your money and do it right!! :peace:
yea...i didnt know..... :nosmile::nosmile: but now i do! :rtm:

anyone got pics of rubi wheels with 31's and how much did they cost?

Back