• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock swing out tire carrier?

costaman

NAXJA Forum User
Hello
Not new here(though I had to get a new ID) but its been a looonnngggg time since I have owned and XJ. Just got it a few months back: 99, 2dr, 2.5, 2WD and is my daily driver.

The question I have is that I have seen Jeep XJs with what appear to be stock swing out carries for the spare. I have ask on several boards and everyone says they never had them... So, am what I am seeing an after market part? If its OEM, what years had them and can I make one fit my 99? I just want a bit more cargo space is all. Not intereted in $$$ aftermarket bumper/carrier combos. Just looking for sound advice. Hence I came to a board dedicated to the XJ! Thnaks for all your imput and its goog to be back!

Marc

costaman said:
Any idea as to what years they came on?

80's mainly.

there are 2 styles.

the 80's AMC one that attached to the quarter panel and the bumper, and is a bit more desireable since it is slightly stronger.

there's also one that was run in the mid 90's that attaches only to the bumper, and they seem to be a bit rarer, but also somewhat weaker.

I looked at factory carriers, and unless you get a smoking deal on one I'd just save for an aftermarket bumper with a carrier.

Once you price a used OE carrier (I was quoted $150 for one from a local yard) with all the pieces, and add a tow hitch, you're getting close to what an aftermarket setup could cost.

This my 90. I got the carrier at the boneyard for $75 off another 90. My mounting I added some reinforcement on the bumper. Not the best set-up for heavy off-road but then whaddya gonna do. The majority of the weight is on the bumper, the latch is on the composite rear hatch with a plate on the inside and a bunch of fat washers. Just angle iron cut & drilled to fit the bumper reinforcment. No bolts or pressure on side body. Holds a 31" no sweat. 3-4 years now.

JFxx.jpg

Mine was $35 dollars, with chrome bumper and inner quarter panel reinforcement

I just picked up an OEM rear swing out carrier from a Bronco II from a friend of mine. Hoping I can make it fit as I hate having the spare in the back cargo area since it takes so much space.

Clunk...

Please post pics and verbage if you get that Bronco II tire carrier set up to work...

I have access to a 1990 Bronco II tire carrier also...I'm just not that hot with fabrication, modifications...

McQue

McQue said:
Clunk...

Please post pics and verbage if you get that Bronco II tire carrier set up to work...

I have access to a 1990 Bronco II tire carrier also...I'm just not that hot with fabrication, modifications...

McQue

looked like it would take it a little work to get it to fit, but nothing too serious. The body lines dont quite match up so it might require some grinding here and there. I'll try to remember to take pictures and post a thread when I'm done, but I might not get around to it for a few weeks.

clunk, you should check some local wreckers for an oem one, I got mine from ernies in castlebush,The stock one was fun enough to mount up, never mind a bronco one!

bcmaxx said:
clunk, you should check some local wreckers for an oem one, I got mine from ernies in castlebush,The stock one was fun enough to mount up, never mind a bronco one!

meant to ask you about some wreckers in the gar since all the ones around Nelson are a rip-off..well, Western auto wreckers is a ripoff anyways. I think that scrap-king in salm-hole is pretty good though from what i hear. I barely go to castlegar but i'm always going through salmo on my way to work. i actually heard that Ernies is pretty good, any other ones you had good experience with?
I'm actually down on the coast visiting my folks for xmas right now, kinda nice to be out of the snow for a bit! I'm on winter layoff for a while so I got more time than cash on my hands, and the B2 carrier was free..so I'll see if I can make it work if not i'll check out some local wreckers when i get back to the kootenays.

Has anyone put this on the newer body style? I got a 99, and was woundering which style would be best? also, how do you attach it to the quarter panel?

ParadiseXJ said:
This my 90. I got the carrier at the boneyard for $75 off another 90. My mounting I added some reinforcement on the bumper. Not the best set-up for heavy off-road but then whaddya gonna do. The majority of the weight is on the bumper, the latch is on the composite rear hatch with a plate on the inside and a bunch of fat washers. Just angle iron cut & drilled to fit the bumper reinforcment. No bolts or pressure on side body. Holds a 31" no sweat. 3-4 years now.

JFxx.jpg

I have one of these that I bought and was going to use on my son's 96, he has decided he does not want it. I have all of the hardware and its in "good" condition and will only need some hardware and I think there is one bolt that will need to be "easy outed". I'm a long ways from Jacksonville though!

We have a 98 update XJ fitted with the Formula Off Road carrier, check out formulaoffroad.com.au and click on wheel carriers, I fitted ours in 98 and are very pleased with it. Cheers John

Sorry for the epic bump, but I'm considering doing this. I'm just a little worried about it fitting since I have a tube bumper in the rear.

It'll be on the other side like the others, but this is the bumper:
http://i.imgur.com/yh6iq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GZUqh.jpg

Out of the two carriers I've seen mounted, they plates are located in different areas. Can I have mine a little higher up, just to clear the bumper? And is it a pretty simple fabrication overall? A guy on a forum can sell me his Bronco carrier for $60. I might check out some yards first.

Cheers

Back