• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

windows stuck

solditforajeep

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 98, when i got it all window switches worked, now for some reason I can only put them down in the drivers seat, I dont have an owners manual so is it probably a blown fuse if so which one. Kinda a pain cuz my ac doesnt work and my passengers have to ask to put a window down.

<sigh> There is a window lock switch on the driver's side panel. Make sure you don't have it in "Locked".

solditforajeep said:
I just picked up a 98, when i got it all window switches worked, now for some reason I can only put them down in the drivers seat, I dont have an owners manual so is it probably a blown fuse if so which one. Kinda a pain cuz my ac doesnt work and my passengers have to ask to put a window down.

Hi and welcome!

First off (prolly a dumb suggestion), have you checked the window lockout switch on the driver's window control panel? If that's not it, it's likely the switch itself is either dirty or bad. If it's bad, you can either replace it or add a jumper on the lockout switch. Either way, you're gonna need to pull off the driver's door panel to get at it for cleaning and/or replacement.

Dave

hah yes I checked the safety lock first, I'll do check it when I replace the driver side speaker, btw is that speaker 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 and is the rear speaker on the headliner a 6 1/2? thanks

solditforajeep said:
... btw is that speaker 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 and is the rear speaker on the headliner a 6 1/2? thanks

I just put in a set (4) of Infinity Reference 6012si 6.5" shallow mounts all around. Other than having to make a couple of new mounting holes in each front door, they went in beautifully. Just need to watch the mounting depth of the fronts so they don't interfere with the window mechanism.

Dave

Last edited:
BTW: If ya need a replacement switch, here's one on eBay currently at $9.99 and no bids. There are a couple others on eBay as well. I got one there and it works fine. I would suspect one from the stealership would run upwards of 200 bones or more.

Dave

It's the child lockout switch thats the problem. Common on the 97+'s. Mine's starting to do it, but for right now I can have one of the passengers hold the button in the direction that they want the window to go in, and i'll hit the back of the master switch pannel on my side and they all start working again, and keep working for sometime.

My old bosses 98 xj does the same thing. There's a write up on here how to rig it yourself and only requires a little basic wiring skill. I've got it saved on my computer and can e-mail it to you to save you the trouble of searching, lemme know.

shoot me a pm with that too please.

Oh, a heads up on that speeker. If it's blown then obvously, but if it's not working at all it's probibly the wires in the boot. They are too small, and it's common for them to break inside the boot from flexing. I just fixed mine last night by running new wires from just past the connector behind the kick pannel to the splice for the Infinity tweeter in the door. The funny rubber grommet behind the kick pannel isn't connected to the boot it self, and was easy to get back on after I pulled it off to make a new hole for the new wires.

Back