• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Carrier Bearings going out!

bryanthieme

NAXJA Forum User
I took my 97' XJ in today because a growling from the back end finally got louder than the exhaust. After looking at it they told me my carrier bearing was going out and had to be replaced.... $900.

I said no and thought I would do a little research first. So how hard is it to change the carrier bearing? Is this something an average wrencher can do in a couple of hours, or is it really worth the 6 hours of labor they quoted me?

If I am going to replace the bearing is there anything else I should do while I am back there, any suggestions at all?

Anybody in the Grand Rapids, MI area interested in doing it ;) I hate the cold!!

Thanks for the help!

Flip the carrier and put it back in. Go for a 500 mile drive @ 70+ MPH to seat everything, if you get any vibes after 500 miles it is bent.

:dunce:

depends on what rear end you have, try your local forums im sure there is someone local to you that could help you out.

okay, first I work in GR at Valley truck parts, and I delt with semi rear ends for 6 months, that said, it should be a very easy thing to do, but it might take you all day your first time. taking it slow is the key, and take pics with a digital camera. pm me if you want to meet or get my cell number. But I would also give Valley a call and have them give you a quote.

If the only problem is the Carrier Bearings, then you should be able to just remove the carrier, replace the bearings, and replace everything in the exact same position you removed it from.

just got off the phone with our diff guy, for around 1000, they can rebuild yours with posi or locker and all new parts. but he says that if you are sure that the bearing only is going out, take the main caps off, make sure that you don't lose any shims, and keep everything orginized as to what goes where. pry the ring gear and cases out. I like to use a smaller hammer and tap em out, but the pry bar would work better if you're wanting to be extra careful. you need a torch to get the bearing off. it easy if you have any experiance with a torch. this is hard to explain on here, but I'll try. the bearing has an outer shell that holds the middle, and the bottem part. nip the outer shell on th top and bottom of the rollers on each side, you might have to pry some of the melted stuff apart, it should all fall around you. the next thing is to put the case where you can spin it fast, get your torch hot, and spin the case while aplying heat. if you have the case pointing the right way, it will pop off. then clean up the case, grab your new bearing, heat it up in the oven for a few minutes, with out burning it up. we use toaster ovens at work. then slap it back on. wait for everything to cool, through it back together the way you took it off, using locktight, and refill the diff.

Go to junkyard. Get used rear axle with gears that match what you have now. Pay about $150.00. Install axle. (Drive 1200 miles to Moab Ut the very next morning like I did).

bryanthieme said:
I took my 97' XJ in today because a growling from the back end finally got louder than the exhaust. After looking at it they told me my carrier bearing was going out and had to be replaced.... $900.

I said no and thought I would do a little research first. So how hard is it to change the carrier bearing? Is this something an average wrencher can do in a couple of hours, or is it really worth the 6 hours of labor they quoted me?

If I am going to replace the bearing is there anything else I should do while I am back there, any suggestions at all?

Anybody in the Grand Rapids, MI area interested in doing it ;) I hate the cold!!

Thanks for the help!

$900!!!!!!
What kind of rear axle do you have? A 35 or 8.25?

A new install kit should cost somewhere around $60-$100. Thats all of the bearings and seals.

Labor to rebuild the rear end locally is about $250. Thats club members who do gears on the side doing it for the general population - friends often get it as cheap as $100.

Check out your local clubs for someone who does gear installs and talk to him.

I had an 8.25 go out on me about 2 years ago, and for $210 total, I had a gear guy come to my house and rebuild the rear end in my driveway with all new parts.

If its that loud you may have damaged the ring and pinion. The noise its making is the missalignment of the ring and pinion teeth. I have replaced worn carrier bearings with good results. Sometimes they have gone too far and damaged the gears.. If you pop the cover and there is a lot of metal in the oil it may be too late. You would need to check the gear teeth for wear. As someone else said, if your just looking for a regular 8 1/4 rear end it may be best to just go to a junk yard and get a used one. It may be your best bet.

bryanthieme said:

Thanks for the help!

Call JCR Offroad, in Ka-zoo. They'll treat you right and do great work.

www.jcroffroad.com

Hale

Well thanks for all the information guys, I feel a lot better and like I can get the jeep back out this winter!

I checked out the website, I think I will be giving you guys at JRC a call!

I would attempt myself but I would hate to make the problem worse than it is!!

This is a great forum!

Back