• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ramifications of EGR delete

eroc37

NAXJA Forum User
OK... searched 'till my fingers are bleeding... stroking my '89 Renix and considering upgrading to '91 head and TB.

2 questions...

1. Is the HO head worth the trouble now that there are bored Renix TB's? Seems I read Dr. Dyno said 5 HP gain? Is the swap worth it for the header choices?

2. Will there be smog test or performance issues with not running the EGR system?

Well... Maybe that's 3 questions... Info much appreciated.... Hasta

I have a 87 XJ that I swapped over to a all 95 HO parts including the engine, Head, intake manifold, throttle body, and soon to be header. I got rid of the EGR on mine and passed DEQ with lots to spare. They didn't do a visual inspection but passing was not a problem.

I believe it is worth it to swap to HO stuff if you can get it cheap but you kind of have to message things to make everything work. If you use the HO throttle body you have the TPS and throttle cable to worry about. I used my stock throttle cable but there is no way around modding the TPS which means everytime it fails you have to modify another one. I also used the stock fuel rail and just welded new mounting tabs onto it to match the HO intake manifold.

I would not have done this just to swap parts but I needed a new engine and got one out of a 95 ZJ for real cheap. I noticed a huge power increase but my old Renix engine had 240,000 miles on it and was not maintained very well. The 95 engine was in great shape with under 100,000 miles on the engine.

My 90 is still all RENIX, the engine is new. We have a visual insp. on emmissions control so I just made a block-off plate to go between the EGR and the intake and then put a BB in the vacuum line. Mine runs the same either way. I just wanted to eliminate any future issues. The plugs have less white stuff on them.

I know this is an old thread.. but hey, at least i searched and found it! I just wanted to be assured there would be no ill effects from remove this crap either (pic). My EGR diaphram is good.. but I've never seen it actually be "activated" by my jeep... so in an effort to clean up the engine bay and remove some vacuum lines.. I wanted to get rid of this crap. Emissions are not an issue where I live.

IMG_0918.jpg

OK... searched 'till my fingers are bleeding... stroking my '89 Renix and considering upgrading to '91 head and TB.

2 questions...

1. Is the HO head worth the trouble now that there are bored Renix TB's? Seems I read Dr. Dyno said 5 HP gain? Is the swap worth it for the header choices?

The header choices are primarily extant because the 1991-2007 242ci doesn't have the EGR sytem. More on that in a moment.

However, the primary restriction isn't in the throttle body, and it isn't in the intake. It's in the intake port in the head. The problem is that the incoming air charge has to make a sharper turn in the 2686 head than it does in any of the later heads - which slows it down (recall how inertia works.) By reducing the angle (which is why later heads have higher intake ports,) you reduce the resistance in the airflow - because you lessen the effect of inertia somewhat.

2. Will there be smog test or performance issues with not running the EGR system?

Performance? Not that I've noted. I haven't done with/without dyno runs to objectively evaluate the mod, tho.

Smog Test? Yea. If you have a "visual" as part of your test, the monkey hooks up a hand vacuum pump to your EGR valve and pulls a mild vacuum. If the engine stumbles and dies, you pass that test (since you're diverting enough exhaust gas into the intake to take your AFR below the "lean burn limit.") However, the engine actually runs cleaner without the thing working - it's just that the regulatory bodies suffer from HICS (Head-In-Cement-Syndrome,) and can't understand that something can be removed to make an engine run cleaner (or replaced outright with a better system. I'd love to ditch my EGR in favour of a water/MeOH fog setup - it would not only have a beneficial effect on emissions, but it wouldn't crap everything up in the intake stream with carbon, like the EGR does. And it would give cleaner chambers.)

Result? I keep the EGR system working to make the Air Police happy. I disconnect it when I'm not getting smogged (illegal? Technically. However, I've seen back-to-back smog tests that show that the engine runs cleaner without the thing - I can't get CARB to wake up to that little factoid, but I figure I'm complying with the spirit of the law, if not the letter. Most laws are written around some logical disconnect anyhow...

("I'm sorry sir - that just fails the common sense test.")

But, when HC and CO get dropped to nearly nothing with no real net effect on NOx emissions by not having a functioning EGR valve (and replacing the EGR forces the HC and CO to near-failing levels,) I'll stick to what I'm doing. Again, the spirit of the law vice the letter of the law - sometimes good people do bad things for good reasons. I just have to remember to hook the thing back up when I have to go see the Air Police...

(Come to think on it, my having been at loggerheads with CARB for the last several years is probably why I keep getting sent to Test Only stations - which triples the cost of the test. Bastids...)

I'd suspect no, it wont. Renix is smarter than the OBDI system. If you notice anything wrong, plug it back in and plug the ports!

That's really all I do anyhow - pull the EGR line and put a cap on the ports instead. Problem solved.

However, the EGR solenoid signal is strictly an output, so I foresee no ill effect from unplugging it. Just make sure to cover the plug with something (baggie, balloon, condom, ...) and secure it to keep crap out of the sockets.

Back