• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cobra CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
Post up what you have here (only Cobra brand please). I have a Uniden Pro 520XL and it works, but I want better. Looking for something "affordable", but maybe with some cool options. Not sure what's out there option-wise for Cobra CB's.... I am researching their website right now as I type though. Thanks all!

EDIT: Photos of your installation would rock too. Thanks!

I think I'm going with this one:

29 NW Classic CB Radio - Classic with Nightwatch illumination front panel, RF gain, SWR calibration, Dynamike, Switchable noise blanker

6214f73d7cd19b3f237ceb7c92f70378.jpg

http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=8&id=1

Just got quoted $110 for it from my buddy :)

Last edited:
I run a Cobra 29 LTD Classic. Kids got it for me for Fathers day. They carry them at Walmart. I think it's in the $90.00 - $100.00 range. I had it peaked and tuned at a local CB shop (20 bucks). It has all of the bells and whistles except the backlighting like the Model 29 NW has.

I can talk about 20 miles with mine no problem. I am running a 5 ft wilson firestick. My SWR is in the 1.3 - 1.5 range. The only complaint I have is the size of the thing. It kinda limits your mounting options. Other than that I love mine.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your responses! I spoke with my buddy about this. Deleted - UA Mod. Should be good for my application. As listed though, I need to find a new mounting location for this monster lol. I am thinking... no more using the center console, and try to fit it in there... I guess we'll see :-X

Oh, he's also changing my Firestick from the 3' to the 5' :)

Last edited by a moderator:
29 LTD Classic. It has been tuned, deleted - UA Mod. I use it because it was my dad's last CB before he died.

However if you are going to buy a new one I recommend getting a little smaller one. There is not a lot of room for the 29.

I do see that lack of room being in issue. I was thinking about mounting it up top how I had my Uniden in the old Cherokee:

CB_0031.sized.jpg

Should be plenty of room.

I have a vintage 148 GTL, deleted - UA Mod a low setting for driving an external amplifier should I be in an area outside of North America where using such a device would not be against FCC regs. It's kinda big for an XJ (had it mounted in one of those across the windshield "shelfs" in my FSB).

I've just picked up a new Wilson 1000 to install in my pre-existing roof hole (home to an ancient cell phone antenna, I believe) so it should get out pretty good, just gotta get the coax run.

Whichever radio you get, I would advise purchasing an equally good antenna and making sure the impedance is matched as well as possible.

mecompco said:
I have a vintage 148 GTL, deleted - UA Mod a low setting for driving an external amplifier should I be in an area outside of North America where using such a device would not be against FCC regs. It's kinda big for an XJ (had it mounted in one of those across the windshield "shelfs" in my FSB).

I've just picked up a new Wilson 1000 to install in my pre-existing roof hole (home to an ancient cell phone antenna, I believe) so it should get out pretty good, just gotta get the coax run.

Whichever radio you get, I would advise purchasing an equally good antenna and making sure the impedance is matched as well as possible.

Thanks. The guy who I buy my CB and radio stuff from tunes all his equipment too. He was up here tuning me 3' antenna yesterday, but said he has a 5' Firestick that's better for the Cobra CB I am getting. He's going to tune that for my application. It's nice have connections lol.

I have the 18 WX ST I bought used off someone in my club. They apparently thought it sucked so they decided to sell it (Never told me that was the reason they were selling it, that was nice wasn't it?). I installed it in mine, and have one of the best reaching, if not the best recieving and transmitting range in my club.
It has weather, and a bunch of goodies. Honestly I only really use my CB when I'm going on a trail run, or when I'm out on the beach in the summertime. I don't need/use a lot of the other little extras.
http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page...=12&id=1#e3fca5ace3d1771ddd2798ad0c19fb5b.jpg

One run we had a guy break an axle, and one of our guys helped him limp back to the road, (happened on first obstacle). The wife of the guy who helped him get back rode with me for a little, and we were the only ones who were able to talk to them from the woods out to the road. She was like, wow thats a great CB, where did you get it. I told her that it was the one I bought off them, and she was like "What, thats our old piece of shit? What the hell"

Here you can see the location of mine. Don't mind the water, but its for this reason that I rewired it so that it is a quick disconnect fashion, so I don't have to hold my group up to try and rewire it after I've ripped it out of the console. I've also kind of grown out of my water phase.
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f251/begster/?action=view&current=CopyofCoyHill034.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and photos Begster! That helps a lot. I have a cup holder there that I use a lot... so we'll see what takes precedent.

I know you've already decided, but I just thought I'd mention to anyone else who may be lerking that the Cobra 75 wx st deleted - UA Mod.

I guess the one I am getting is not the weather version. deleted - UA Mod. What's the deal with the weather one? Just curious.

Here's my Cobra 18WxST. Ignore the hanging wires, please. I've since cleaned them up.
IMG_0513.jpg

I had a 75 WxST, but the switches took a dump less than a year after installing it--unfortunately, I'd waited about six months after buying it to install it, so the warranty wasn't any good.

By the way, how do you like being headlinerless? I've been thinking about doing that.

Stumpalump said:
They do tune very well but 35 watts? I got upper teens from mine.
Did a little work on the finals. I have a Uniden PC68 as well deleted - UA Mod. I don't mind spending the money for the safety factor that a CB brings. Cell service here in the mountains is terrible. A 2 meter is ideal and I'm working on that next.

Thanks again for all the help, to all of you. I did purchase the 29 Nightwatch Classic, w/o Weatherband. deleted per OP request - I missed it the first time.... deleted - UA Mod, but he said that drops the reliability of the unit. He also gave me a 5' Firestick antenna that looks a little better as well and has a real nice wrap to it.

I went ahead and did the install similar to what Begster has done. I will post up photos after I bleed my clutch later today.

Timber: I liked running without the headliner. In summer it did radiate heat, as it did cold in winter. You definitely lose the insulation factor. I would also have droplets of water (condensation) form on it, sometimes directly above my head. This would be annoying at times, but not a very common thing. My current headliner is sagging, and I am most likely going to pull it all again. I like the looks better w/o the headliner. It looks somewhat custom. Just don't get scared at how little (and how small of a gauge) sheet metal there is above your head!

Re: Cobra CB ILLEGAL power thread

By FCC regulations, you are allowed 5 watts on the CB band.

It shows poor taste to a) encourge folks to do what is illegal, b) act like it's OK to do so.

The fines are actually quite stiff for modifying a CBs power, and using it. Those who have been caught, mainly because of interference claims to the FCC, have had their equipment confiscated, and their bank accounts modified accordingly.

FYI

Ron

Re: Cobra CB ILLEGAL power thread

Zuki-Ron said:
By FCC regulations, you are allowed 5 watts on the CB band.

It shows poor taste to a) encourge folks to do what is illegal, b) act like it's OK to do so.

The fines are actually quite stiff for modifying a CBs power, and using it. Those who have been caught, mainly because of interference claims to the FCC, have had their equipment confiscated, and their bank accounts modified accordingly.

FYI

Ron

And I agree with all of that, so I'm not encouraging any one to do so. I only use mine in emergency situations way out in the sticks. When I go 2 meter the CB's will go in the trash and the 2 meter will be left legal. Most all of the truckers I know are running much more power than I am anyway. If you drive down I-81 through VA and listen to some of the crap that is being said on the CB you would realize that the FCC could care less anyway. There is all kinds of illegal crap going on on the CB's around here all of the time. There is a guy on a very powerful base station that can be heard all through out VA doing nothing but preaching some sort of religion and trash talking truckers. He has been doing so for 5 years and has been reported and they don't care. If its a life or death situation and no cell I would hope that I have more than 4 watts to get help with.

Not trying to argue or promote any one hopping up a CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back