• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Jeep froze to death....literally

Overdriven

NAXJA Member #1020
It hit -12 here in Alaska the other night and since that time I have not been able to get my XJ to start. I've got I don't have a fuel pressure guage but I hear the pump start for a short time when I turn the key, there is a spout of fuel at the rail if I depress the plunger on the test port, and the spark plugs are getting wet.

I've got spark, I cleaned my cap rotor points and checked my plugs....

I put a charger on the battery and it turns the engine over fast.

I get a few coughs here and there but mostly nothing.

Any chance the cold took out something? Or am I just normal trouble shooting a no start problem?

89 Cherokee with HO head/intake.

Thanks y'all.

Only a couple things will make an XJ not start that I know of:
Fuel Pressure (buy a cheapo gauge at Harborfrieght or where ever is close & cheap for you pressure should be around 35 IIRC, try bypassing the ballast resistor on fenderwell next if pressure is not up to snuff)
Spark (check for spark at wires with a screwdriver; yellow is bad - replace coil if yellow spark, blue is good)
MAP sensor (on firewall above intake, also check vacuum line to MAP sensor for leaks)
CPS sensor (on bellhousing)
Distributor pickup sensor (this could possibly go bad but probably not)

Try unplugging & replugging those sensors one at a time, if that works then the sensor needs replaced.

At that temp it could also be a frozen fuel line. Have you tried warming the Jeep up? Are you using gasline antifreeze?

What is the temp now?> If it is still 12 or below 18 then you have some ice in the fuel.

Could be flooded. WOT while cranking to cut fuel to injectors.
Fuel pressure guage will confirm or deny a lot of other possibilities.

My 91' that sat for a year did that when I first tried to start in 10* weather. Added 5 gals of fresh gas with a couple of bottles of "Heet". It started better but not a sure thing. Changed plugs, rotor and cap, same thing. Changed plug wires, never had a prob. again, that was last winter.
Its been below zero here a couple of nights so far this year, still starts.

Harlee&Tahoe said:
Could be flooded. WOT while cranking to cut fuel to injectors.
Fuel pressure guage will confirm or deny a lot of other possibilities.
try this first, hold the hammer down and crank it over a bunch.

Timber said:
Add the neutral safety switch (NSS) to that list, too.

That's only a won't turn over problem, not a won't fire problem.

OFFRDR said:
I'm in Alaska too, and mine has been starting up reallllly slowly...Where in Alaska were you? I didn't think it got THAT cold yet.

Block & Battery heater would be nice for this
We used to use a light bulb under the cover to keep block from freezing on mom's boat (455 B&B)

I NEVER touch the gas pedal when starting, thats what the computer and injectors are for.

Mine does what you are talking about and I would try and pull the fuel pump relay. I do that on mine and it starts right up. Put the relay back in and everything is fine.

I'm in Achorage Alaska and the Thermometer I have in the garage with a sensor outside showed -12 when the problem first started.

It's been sitting in my headed garage for a day and a half now so everything is thawed out.

Plugs are good and I cleaned up a little buildup on my cap and rotor earlier today.

I've had a block heater since about a week after I moved here (about Thanksgiving time this year. I have it on a timer which turns on at 0400 (I go to work at 0630.

I'm going to try a few things now. I just called the wife to have her bring home some heet. (tonight could be fun :spin1: )

Threw in a bottle of red heet and 5 gal of gas. Now at half a tank of gas.

Cleaned and gapped all my plugs. Running Bosch. All looked good to start with, no buildup on them All were wet with fuel.

Bypassed ballast resistor.

Saw blue spark against the firewall while cranking. (As far as Crank position sensor.... If it was bad, wouldn't I see no spark at all? I was seeing very regular spark, not off time or missing at all.)

Checked all connections, unplugged and reconnected.

Pulled, cleaned and rotated all relays one position.

Jeep has been sitting at 70 degrees for the last day and a half so nothing is frozen.

Still no farther than I was earlier....

All vacuum connections are in good shape...

BTW, How do I check the Map sensor?

I even shot a blast of carb cleaner into the intake hose while my son was cranking it.

I'm going to go drink a beer and stare at the Jeep for a bit. Maybe I can guilt it into starting...

Last edited:
It hates you for moving to the armpit of the north....

It's been pissed ever since I put the doors back on and welded a roof back onto it.

I have read this entire thread & see what you have checked & tested. If it cranks, & and you are sure you have good spark. We need to know what fuel PSI at the rail. I don't care if you hear the pump run for a couple seconds or that you pushed in the schraider valve and it had pressure. We need to know about PSI & voulumn? Period.

Anchorage is a dump, haha... Wasilla I like though...

As for your no start.. IDK

Back