• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can stealership charge above MSRP?

furrymcmonst

NAXJA Forum User
My local Jeep dealership here in Monroe, WA always charges above MSRP for parts. Can they just make up prices and is this common? Are they trying to discourage inividuals walking in for parts?

Usually, I'll buy from the junkyard or online but once in awhile will get a part locally. I will check some of the online Mopar sites first to find out the MSRP on the part. My local dealership consistently charges above the MSRP listed at those sites. I wonder if someone is pocketing the difference.

HELL YA...... Most of are paid partial comission. Including the service writers.
I worked as a salesmen for a chrysler dealer

I've almost always been fortunate at the parts counter. They usually cut me a pretty good discount.

They can sell it for whatever they can get you to pay for it. If they are the only source for the part within a couple of hours, bend over...

98XJSport said:
They can sell it for whatever they can get you to pay for it. If they are the only source for the part within a couple of hours, bend over...
YUP X2

Next time walk in with two chrysler sites and the parts prices on paper printouts then ask why they charge over MSRP. There are still idiots out there that think everybody is dumb.

Since I run a Dealership this is how it works. Most parts Dept's use a matrix pricing system just as Kragen or any other auto parts store. It allows you to price smaller items with a higher margin and as the parts cost increases the mark-up decreases. For example we may mark up a Bolt 200% and on the other end we would sell you a complete engine assy for cost plus 10%. The cost involved running a parts dept would blow your mind when you look obsolescence etc...Most of the time if you just ask, they will hook you up.

Last edited:
200%,,,that explains the bolt for my gas tank (strap to frame) costing me $18.00 at my local dealer and only $5+ at a dealer out of Texas. Needed it right away, but ordered two spares (from TX), delivered...for less than one at my local dealer

It's amazing how small a margin of profit a car dealership runs on, and how much cash and risk it takes to run one. Yet, when times are good they can make a very good profit, and when times are bad they can loose money very quickly. In the current market dealerships are dropping like flies.

I happen to have a real good relationship with the parts guys at the Jeep dealership, so get a deep discount on any parts. If you go in and ask what discount structure they can get you, you might get them to drop the price. Try using the name of the company you work for, that might even let them give you a break. The guy at the counter really doesn't care, he's not trying to gouge you, so be nice to him and try to work it out.

Living some distance from any dealer, I have a choice. A couple charge MSRP. One, which unfortunately also is the most convenient and has a well-informed counter person and decent parts stock, charges a few percent above, and one, which also usually has a clueless parts person who couldn't find his **** without a cross referenced microfiche, charges anywhere from a few percent over to 300 percent, apparently jacking up prices on odd little bits in the hope that nobody will notice how outrageous it is to charge, for example, 18 bucks for a fuel tank O-ring that lists for $5.70.

Note to Central Vermont forumites: that one is Brileya Chrysler in Rutland. Avoid if possible, and use Zappone in Granville, NY, or Fair Haven Dodge in VT if you're willing to wait for things (they're not a Jeep dealer but can get parts, and they're honest).

I'm always nice....well most of the time (Mickey D's and Wally World bring out the worst in me...lol).
That price was with my discount(son and I have two reg. business's, tax ID and all). Parts guy said it list for over $24, this is also the same parts dept. that did not stock a oil pan drain plug washer (gasket) for a 4.0, had to go next door to Car Quest.

furrymcmonst said:
My local Jeep dealership here in Monroe, WA always charges above MSRP for parts. Can they just make up prices and is this common? Are they trying to discourage inividuals walking in for parts?

Usually, I'll buy from the junkyard or online but once in awhile will get a part locally. I will check some of the online Mopar sites first to find out the MSRP on the part. My local dealership consistently charges above the MSRP listed at those sites. I wonder if someone is pocketing the difference.

It's called overhead. They have to pay for the real estate that part sits on. Plus on-line will take 5-10 days to get you the part where most dealerships have what you need over night.

I know of more than a few dealers that charge msrp + 11% to retail customers, I don't agree with it but hey thay can do what they want. Sure makes that 10% discount sound real crappy though!!! Some dealer contracts forbid charging over msrp, but there is always a loophole and they seem to charge it anyways

Boatwrench said:
It's called overhead. They have to pay for the real estate that part sits on. Plus on-line will take 5-10 days to get you the part where most dealerships have what you need over night.

I understand that they have overhead yet I've never purchased anything at any other business OVER a posted MSRP. I just wondered if this was common or if I was being scammed by some local employees. Based on the replies, it sounds like it is a common occurence.

Does not MSRP include factoring overhead costs? If you go to 7-11 to buy a bag of chips that say MSRP of 99 cents, you're not going to have to pay $1.50 because the 7-11 has to pay rent. The 7-11 buys the bag of chips for 40 cents and charges the MSRP of 99 and makes their profit there

Thats one of the reasons I walk in with a parts list, already priced out on the net, and say 'I need these parts' :D :D and hand him the sheet :D :D :D
and then say 'here is my tax ID for my business'..

My local chrysler dealer parts-guy is pretty good, he has told me on more than once occasion that chrysler charges way too much for this and that, then gives me cost plus 5-10%. Plus, he really knows his stuff. I visited a different chrysler dealership not too long ago though, which was horrible! The guy there didn't know if he was selling me a 160* or 180* T-stat, then when he opened the box and it came with two types of gaskets, he tried to tell me that I needed to use BOTH gaskets (which looked completely different). I paid the price then walked out of the store. Never going to go there again!!

Went to Dwayne Lane Jeep in Everett, WA and asked for the nut strip part to attach a tow hitch. The guy was immediately rude to me and said he didn't know what I was talking about. I tried to explain it to him and he just dismissed me and said he'd have to sell me a complete hitch even though I told him it was a separate part number. He was basically a c*nt. I went down to the next dealer and the much more normal parts guy there found the part in under a minute and told me it was $38 and $6 for each bolt. I said thanks but no thanks. With the power of NAXJA I got it on line for $22 from parts4jeeps.com - and I can get the bolts for less than $2 so why would I ever bother with a dealer again. Overhead? Whatever! How about just being nice to customers - hope he got paid well, the miserable shite. I'm contemplating a JK in the next year or two and I won't go there.:gonnablow

Back