• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my new tow rig!

erikwylie

Jealousy Root of all Evil
Ok I bought a new (gulp) family wagon! Its a 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Baur Edition with all the bells and whistles! Woo Hoo I can tow the jeep out now (i guess once I fix it) But really it was bought for the wife and baby on the way!

My question is, it only came with one key! It is the transponder key with the built in chip. Does anyone know how to program it with out going to the stealership????? Also, it came with the key fobs originally but I don't have those either. I know I can get them on E-Bay does anyone know how to program those? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks In Advance!

Here is a bad picture I took, I will take some better ones tomorrow!

Newtowrig.jpg

#1) damn you homo for buying a ford.

#2) the only place to get programmed keys is from the dealer and they cost 100$+

#3) the dealer will tell you how to reprogram the keyfobs tell them your battery died and now they dont work anymore.

:(

Hey now......... Its a tow rig. Hes not wheelin it. Plus my 71 bronco was kick ass and it was a ford.

you can program a new transponder if you have 2 keys other wise dealer there you go, about $100 new key and all

the key fobs are easy buy them from ebay and it comes with instructions you newb

I keep telling you to ask me questions first you dork

Congrats! But you could have bought my wife's fully loaded 2004 Z71 Chevy Tahoe, we have 2 keys and fobs.... :laugh2:

To program your remotes you cycle the key eight times the door lock will cycle then you hit the lock button on each remote. yes you do need to go to the dealer for the key. the key runs about 24.00 and we charge 65.00. and for those who think it a rip off, how long do you think it takes to re-coup 3500.00 for the tool plus the 350.00 yearly updates???? If you need a hook-up let me know, I run a Ford Store in So.Cal

FordGuy said:
To program your remotes you cycle the key eight times the door lock will cycle then you hit the lock button on each remote. yes you do need to go to the dealer for the key. the key runs about 24.00 and we charge 65.00. and for those who think it a rip off, how long do you think it takes to re-coup 3500.00 for the tool plus the 350.00 yearly updates???? If you need a hook-up let me know, I run a Ford Store in So.Cal

Even though your name has Ford in it, I have to ask... Are you sure you Add any transponders without 2 programmed Keys???

I have a 2001 F150 screw and only one of each that are for the truck, but two each blanks. I searched and searched and everything pointed to having to have 2 programmed keys to add a fob. Anf the only way to add a key is to have a min of two keys.

In any case keys adn fobs can be bought from ebay for about 20$ a pair. But with only one key you will need to have another added before you can add fob's...

erikwylie said:
Its a 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Baur Edition with all the bells and whistles!

I've been quite happy with my 2001 Expo. Does your have the rear airbag suspension? :) Mine has 3.55 gears, but I wish it had 4.10's.

Blazair said:
I've been quite happy with my 2001 Expo. Does your have the rear airbag suspension? :) Mine has 3.55 gears, but I wish it had 4.10's.

Thats an easy 600$ fix..

And I would say that over the cajon pass its a slow go and hard tow for my 2001 screw with the 5.4, towing a stripped and very partial body XJ with a 1600lbs trailer. Thats with a quality elect fan kit, accel coils and quality plugs, along with high flow exhaust and 4:10 gears on a 33" tire. given it is a 4x4 so that may take a little of the power too though. adding a programmer (edge evo) in the next week, for the speedo calibration and possible HP/TQ gains.

I would recommend a electric fan kit (not a cheapo), edge evo programmer, exhaust (headers are next for me), and gears.

If it was the newer 3 valve motor in the newer models it would be a much easier go. Wife is getting one very soon after driving a friends. But on the 01 with the right add-ons or less then about 6000lbs you will like it. Over that and its just laboring along on inclines and be ready to be passed Alot.

The remotes program thru the Keyless module, Keys program thru PATS portion of the PCM.When you program FOBS you only use one key. You are right about adding a extra key, its takes two. Sometimes weird things happen when you try and program, we even replace PCM;s now and then becouse of programing issues. I am sure, Been running Ford Fixed OPS Since 1990.

Last edited:
Blazair said:

Yes it does have the air ride suspension, haven't crawled underneath to see what gears it has yet though!

erikwylie said:
Yes it does have the air ride suspension, haven't crawled underneath to see what gears it has yet though!

unless its been changed, you can get it from the door tag. Theres a code then just do a quick google search on it. Its easy to find.

When I bought the durango 2 yrs ago I only got one key and no fobs. I went to the stealership and got the fobs. They were programmed before the CC transaction was completed and $145 later I was done.

It was well worth it knowing that I no longer had to wory about only one key and no fobs.

Congrats on your new ride.

ROBERTK said:
Thats an easy 600$ fix..

And I would say that over the cajon pass its a slow go and hard tow for my 2001 screw with the 5.4, towing a stripped and very partial body XJ with a 1600lbs trailer. Thats with a quality elect fan kit, accel coils and quality plugs, along with high flow exhaust and 4:10 gears on a 33" tire. given it is a 4x4 so that may take a little of the power too though. adding a programmer (edge evo) in the next week, for the speedo calibration and possible HP/TQ gains.

I would recommend a electric fan kit (not a cheapo), edge evo programmer, exhaust (headers are next for me), and gears.

If it was the newer 3 valve motor in the newer models it would be a much easier go. Wife is getting one very soon after driving a friends. But on the 01 with the right add-ons or less then about 6000lbs you will like it. Over that and its just laboring along on inclines and be ready to be passed Alot.

I also have a ford for a tow rig. It is a 29' C class motorhome with a old school FI 460. I hook up the enclosed trailer and throw in the 2500lb race car and toss either Grapevine or cajon and 50-55 I am good to go. However the total weight is somewhere between 17k and 18k, closer to 18k. So when I am running up behind you I will blow the horn on the way by, hehehe...

Ok got the key made at the stealership $97 dollars later! They wanted another 89 bucks to get me the code for the keyless entry! That is gonna have to wait!

I did find out that it has 3.55 gears in it with the LSD!

Still all and all I have driven this thing all over today! and I like it!

Back