• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Butt or overlap welds?

XJMK

aka boredchimp
I've got a Rusty's Heavy Duty trac bar with bushings on both the frame and axle ends and I think its contributing to my loose steering. I want to swap out the frame end bushing to a johnny joint. The smallest johnny joint is 2", while the tracbar mount has an opening of something less than that. What I was thinking of doing was to cut off the mount and cut it in half to widen the opening.

Heres a top veiw autopaint drawing.
tracbarmount.jpg

I'm pretty sure the tracbar mount is 3/16", if that makes a difference.

So basically, should I use a butt weld or overlap weld? And please elaborate on your responce, punctuation and grammer will be taken into consideration.:shocked:

Use a Heim Joint. Then you won't have to modify the mount.

I don't weld.

I just did the same thing! Don't cut it. Call Trever at WFO Concepts and tell him to hook you up with a Hiem joint to fit the tracbar bracket (1.65" wide inside). He'll give you a hiem with 2 High Misalignment spacers. Just have him turn the spacers down to fit 1.65" then drill your bracket out to use the 5/8" bolt. It works perfect!

haha....hahaaa... you said butt...

Shhhh... you shouldn't say ass....

Oh my bad.

This is the only picture I have. You can kinda see it. I gotta get a grade 8 bolt for it before next weekend.

Edit: WTF is that plug hanging down... I just noticed it! lol Maybe whats why my electrical stuff don't work!

PC180818.jpg

Last edited:
If you're set on welding..... overlap is stronger than butt....

lowrange2 said:
Oh my bad.
Edit: WTF is that plug hanging down... I just noticed it! lol Maybe whats why my electrical stuff don't work!

i would have to go with the harness for the upstream O2 sensor. wouldn't affect anything other than your fuel mixture (making it richer if its not plugged in)

Thanks for actually answering my question, tayman.

Seems quicker and easier, so I actually might just go with the heim, since I'm not that great at welding.

I was just leaning towards the johnny because of its rebuildability.

Thanks for the info, spencer and lowrange.

If you are welding, the overlap joint is the way to go, as already stated. It gives you more surface area to weld to, thus giving you a stronger weld. Since you're not 100% onthe welding, go with the heim, safety first.

you're welcome. but I agree with sigmund... safety first!

I run a 2" superflex joint at the top and a 7/8" heim at the bottom. I've gone through three superflex joints, three set of tie rod and drag link ends, but that heim is still tight as the day it was bought.

cal said:
I run a 2" superflex joint at the top and a 7/8" heim at the bottom. I've gone through three superflex joints, three set of tie rod and drag link ends, but that heim is still tight as the day it was bought.

Sounds like I'd replace that Superflex joint.

Back