• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping exhaust manifolds (renix to HO)

Oizarod115

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at replacing a bunch of things and upgrading while i'm there.
plan is 99+ intake, motor mounts, exhaust and just overall replacing stuff

i'm sure you've all noticed the difference between the new exhausts and the renix exhaust and the HO is designed for better flow and all that good stuff. but it doesn't have an outlet for the EGR like the renix header does

i was wondering if anyone else has done this upgrade and how they put the egr in or if you removed it. and how the emissions were affected by it.

i do have a 97 motor (which should have different timing and such to make it pass emissions without the EGR right?) but everything is stock renix except the block/head

truck is a 1989 4.0 5spd 4x4 comanche

Oizarod115 said:
I'm looking at replacing a bunch of things and upgrading while i'm there.
plan is 99+ intake, motor mounts, exhaust and just overall replacing stuff

i'm sure you've all noticed the difference between the new exhausts and the renix exhaust and the HO is designed for better flow and all that good stuff. but it doesn't have an outlet for the EGR like the renix header does

i was wondering if anyone else has done this upgrade and how they put the egr in or if you removed it. and how the emissions were affected by it.

i do have a 97 motor (which should have different timing and such to make it pass emissions without the EGR right?) but everything is stock renix except the block/head

truck is a 1989 4.0 5spd 4x4 comanche
If your going to swap over to the exhaust manifold from the HO (91+) versions of the cherokee, then your wasting your time unless you also swap the head. Even if they lined up correctly (they dont) the Renix head would inhibit your performance gain.
Swap EVERYTHING from perferrably a 94 or 95 cherokee from the head up. At this time if you want to spend more money, you can also swap to the 1999+ intake manifold (with minor mods) which is a much more effeciant design.
You say you have an engine from a 97, which i think is the year they switched to a different head that was prone to cracking, thats why i said from a 94 or 95 would be best.
The EGR and associated parts are just plainly removed when you do an upgrade like this. Its just as if your swapping in an engine from the latter years.
Keep in mind that you will also have to get an adapter to "adapt" the RENIX TPS to the HO Throttle Body. Other then that everything else is just a direct swap really. (Of course that means youll be replacing your TV and throttle cables as well) When i said EVERYTHING i literally meant everything. Im planning on doing this to a stroker moter i have plans on building. My suggestions come from countless searches, and reading.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
i don't have a renix head so no worries there.

not worried about the head cracking cause i'm not gonna swap it just on the off chance that it might one day crack, not worth the trouble

i am doing a new style intake as well like i said but will be adapting my TB to fit onto the HO intake instead of Fing with sensors

so removing the EGR is kosher? has anyone read anything on emissions related stuff without it, i SHOULD be able to pass without considering the engines that didn't have it were timed/internally different a little to make up for it right?

thanks for the response

Back