• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake line help

vozo112

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i am in the middle of swithcing my back axle on my 96 xj wiht one from a 90 xj. it seems to be a pretty easy swap over with everything being for the most part the same except for one thing. the brake lines are different. where the brakeline meats the axle are different on the two axles. srry i dont have pics but i will try to explain the best i can. 96- has two lines that go into a little square piece with a half circle on the side that hits the axle. also, the two lines that go to each drum connect to this. on the axle from the 90, there is this box but only one of the lines goes into the box with the two lines that go to the drums. the other line goes straight into the axle. how could i hook up the brake on the 96 with this set up?

You can try connecting the brake lines at the hardline connection instead of the axle connection. where the rubber line starts at the end of the steel line that's connected to the body. Make sense? I don't have my camera on me right now and I can't find any pictures right now.

At the top? Unscrew the hard line from the end of the rubber line first. It uses a standard (3/8?) flare nut tool. There is a clip that you pull out with pliers, and the line will fall free.

sounds like you are tring to put a 96 8.25 Chrysler combo block onto a 90 Dana axle. To use the newer block, which has the axle vent line built into the retaining bolt (the thing in the middle), you have to drill out and tap the hole in the Dana axle that the retaining bolt (without the vent, that's the seperate line you see next to it). Use a 25/64" drill bit, and a 7/16X20 tap, and the new one will thread in. Pop the vent line off and cap that hole.

Did the same thing when I swapped the D44 under my MJ. I used a later model Dakota rear soft line and ran into the same problem. Couple pics of what I did, hope that helps ya.
Jeff

The Chryco distribution block/combo vent line:

dakotaline.jpg

Drilled and tapped, used a rubber impregnated washer under the block:

drilledout.jpg

I shortened the hollow vent bolt a bit, just to be safe:

shortened.jpg

Done, with the old vent hole plugged:

installed2.jpg

My 90 has the same set up as my 96. I just swapped in a 29 spline 8.25 that was in the 96 into the 90 to replace the 35. Everything was the same.

Back