• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting ready to fab my front hitch receiver and recovery points

mtmetzger

NAXJA Forum User
I've had my 95 XJ for a couple weeks now and I'm waiting for my RE lift to arrive (hopefully tomorrow). My Jeep didn't come with stock tow hooks, so I figured I would visit the junk yard to find a set. I ended up getting a set of BEEFY Ford loops. I originally welded a 1/4" plate to the bottom of the "frame" and bolted them up. After doing some research on here, I decided that they may not be strong enough, so I considered other options. (New bumper, Detours backbone, just adding bracing to my plates I made, etc)

The only thing I didn't like about the detours system was the large winch plate sticking out of the top. Since I do not yet have a winch, I don't want it there, I also figured I could do better than around $300 shipped. A lot of the aftermarket bumpers are expensive and some only mount to the 3 original bumper bolts. The front receivers made for the XJ just use the sway bar bolts and a couple other holes to secure it to the bottom of the "frame"

I got some inspiration from this thread where Love2Ride450 made something similar: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=934995 I like the idea of getting a hitch mounted winch plate so I could keep it in the garage until I hit the trails and I could transfer it to the back if I need to.

I decided to make a front mounted hitch receiver because it will serve many purposes:
1 - Provide a solid mounting platform for some recovery hooks
2 - Beef up the front of the weak frame
3 - Reinforce the steering box area
4 - Provide a secure place to mount a winch (later on)
5 - Provide some protection for the front end

My local Metal Supermarket has everything I need in stock and I plan on visiting them in the morning to have them cut everything to length and punch holes where I need them. Then all I have to do is weld everything up!

I'm still debating on using the ford loops or just getting some 3/4" plate trimmed up and running some D-rings on the front.

Any thoughts / comments are welcome. Thanks!

My only suggestion is to use rectangular material for the main cross piece. It should be tall enough that the receiver tube will slide into it, but "thinner" so you have more room between it and the bumper. This will allow you to use a shorter receiver tube, and fit your hitch pin in much easier.

I'll see what they have when I get out to the metal place. I plan to make the receiver tube 7.75" long becase my "head panel" as you described has a nice sized cutout with pleny of room behind it, where yours is solid. I would like the pin to be on the outside of the bumper for easier access, but do not really want 3"+ sticking out the front side. How hard is it for you to access your pin from behind the bumper?

I think the rectangular tube may be a little weaker and more prone to bending than the square tube if I pulled it hard enough. I imaging that if I had the pin on the outside of the bumper, I wouldn't have anything to worry about.

I was planning on using 2.5"OD tube for the receiver tube and the cross brace. I figured I could weld the cross braces to the sides of the receiver tube and put some plate on the top and bottom for extra support. (the way my rear hitch is constructed) I think I remember reading that your main bar is 3"OD with a hole cut in it and the 2.5"OD receiver passes through. I guess this would make for a stronger piece since the main brace is continuous on the top and bottom all the way across. I may just do that...

Hey Metz where do you wheel at? I am over in W.KY and hit Turkey bay every once and a while. I heard Livingston was closed down late this summer. I have some other Lex freinds who wheeled there. I was looking forward to going there this winter.....oh well.

Yeah, I think livingston is closed down, but I have some ATV buddies that go somewhere in rockcastle county.

I just picked up my rig a couple weeks ago, so I'm new to the sport, but I'm planning on frequently visiting hillz n hollarz because they are only about a half hour or so from me. http://www.hillznhollarz.com/ There is another park in Southern Indiana called Badlands I would like to check out soon. I heard there is also some wheelin at red river gorge

Back